Electric Vehicles, Hybrids...Battery tech... Land Air and Sea. Let's See 'em.

Is the internal combustion engine doomed to history

• Yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • ...er... what was the question again?

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I haven't watched the video, but I assume it's to do with battery life and cost. Our govt is also pushing for EVs, problem is, battery technology is not up to scratch yet and EVs are pretty darn expensive. Then there's range. Not for me, not until they come up with something better than lithium batteries.

There was a recent comp between two BMWs, one electric and one petrol. The route was Sydney to Melbourne from memory. The petrol BMW won, cheaper and a lot quicker. The EV BMW got bogged down with charging time and charging costs on the way. The costs associated with charging stations was more than the petrol cost.

I think the green credentials of EVs go out the window when you consider how that electricity is generated to charge them, the problems associated with disposing of the batteries at the end of their life and the cost to the environment producing batteries. Then there's the environmental cost of producing the remainder of the car, it is the same as a petrol engined car.

I personally think they have chased the cat up the wrong tree. Fuel cell technology makes more sense to me.

We'll probably run out of fossil fuels before they find a way forward. Currently hydrogen appears a better solution, but infrastructure and cost of production are the main sticking points. The Chinese are working on ammonia as a fuel.
The video is more about real life ownership and the resale / trade in value of an EV after about three years. Trade in value droped from £120,000 purchase price to low £40,000 as a trade in (which the dealer didnt want to do due to overstock on used EV cars!). He does mention replacement battery cost due to degradation issues. The offers to buy from online dealers such as We Buy Any Car were as low as £28,000! Its seems electric car ownership is a real downward worm hole long term.

I agree with you that fuel cell options / synthetic fuels are the way to go.
The Goodwood revival races for 2024 are deemed to run on synthetic fuels for all classes...:yikes:

EVs aren't the only vehicles that suffer these problems. I saw post quite a while ago about a guy who bought an Audi, can't remember the model, but it was somewhere around $140,000. Two,years later he was offered something like $40,000 as a trade in.

Back