• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
Thanks!
Was jus' sitting here pondering... in a way I'm glad the clear went backorder. Spring wakeup's goin' on everywhere... rotor's to rewind.
Shall we say... a bit less stressful way to enjoy yourself. :wink2:

Your spring wake up sounds better than mine haha.

I just get heavy duty lawn equipment and weeds up to my waist.

The Twins are done

Still needs a buff, but the painting part is finito. Goal was to finish 'em before the 1st of May. People got rally's to get to... :geek:
Funny story (or not).... was almost out of clear coat. Ordered some early last week 'cause.... it went backorder. Won't be here 'till about the 10th. Fuck me. So, scratch two different shoots. This was all or nothin'. Shot 'em both back to back. Finished right at sunset. This was left outta two cups. :er:
Yeah, call it a squeaker.

View attachment 324638

View attachment 324639

View attachment 324640

View attachment 324641

View attachment 324642

View attachment 324643
The way you waste paint, it's a good thing it's only a hobby.

The Twins are done

Still needs a buff, but the painting part is finito. Goal was to finish 'em before the 1st of May. People got rally's to get to... :geek:
Funny story (or not).... was almost out of clear coat. Ordered some early last week 'cause.... it went backorder. Won't be here 'till about the 10th. Fuck me. So, scratch two different shoots. This was all or nothin'. Shot 'em both back to back. Finished right at sunset. This was left outta two cups. :er:
Yeah, call it a squeaker.

View attachment 324638

View attachment 324639

View attachment 324640

View attachment 324641

View attachment 324642

View attachment 324643
Nice job Jim :heart::heart::heart:
No emoji for a Butt squeek so this will have to do Squ:poo::poo:K

Blue skies... smilin' at me....

...and done!! Ready for pickup.

1714956233076.png

1714956263020.png

1714956292860.png

1714956315796.png

1714956341549.png

1714956373427.png

1714956398416.png

I like the clean look of the red one with the white pin stripe.
I just started on my projects.
Removing the custom paint from the '78 XS650.
Starting on the side panels and using citri strip.
Overnight with citristrip covered with plastic wrap.

View attachment 325291View attachment 325292View attachment 325293
The pinstripe realy sets the candy apple red "off". In certain light the combo looks two-tone, light candy Apple on the face, darker outside the stripe. I think it looks very cool. I will post pics of the new "Standard " tank as soon as we mount it.
20240508_064342.jpg

How the heck did you get the white line so uniform when setting up the masking?
It's an 1/8" stripe. So you lay down 1/8" tape where you want the line. Lift... readjust as required until you're happy, then put tape on either side of the first then remove the middle tape.
It's a slog, but somewhere back in this thread I detail the process.

Far as the red rubbing into the white, the red was shot with 2 coats of clear coat. All that is then sanded, and then you add the stripes. Let the stripes dry then sand again for the final clears.
No worries about the red bleeding into the white 'cause you never sand through the clear coat.

It's an 1/8" stripe. So you lay down 1/8" tape where you want the line. Lift... readjust as required until you're happy, then put tape on either side of the first then remove the middle tape.

Far as the red rubbing into the white, the red was shot with 2 coats of clear coat. All that is then sanded, and then you add the stripes. Let the stripes dry then sand again for the final clears.
No worries about the red bleeding into the white 'cause you never sand through the clear coat.
Well maybe YOU never sand through the clear coat.

Thanks for the clarity :)
Never knew I could paint over sanded clear coat. That makes sense then.

Back