Jan_P

Tool Owner
Top Contributor
Reaction score
2 Old Rattle guns landed here .Someone else given up on
The Aluminium one is a Atlas Copco LMS - 24
Quality Brand over here .
Have sent them an e -mail if any service kits is available

O rings and Plastic is worn the trigger has to much play so it leaks.even with new O rings
And the internal slide valve a bit worn also leaks a little
Spring looking like a tweezer fell out No clue where it goes cant figure it out for Now
The Air motor is weak it is dirty and after a bit cleaning it turns a little but still weak
Maybe need new rotor wings and inside + plastic
But the metal parts looks fine

The yellow one is probably a low grade machine
Does not turn and don't keep the oil inside
Might throw it

If anyone done it please share thoughts Usual way Forward besides new O -Rings

IMAG0270.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 4
I have a really nice Snap On impact gun that’s maybe been used 10X since purchased over 25 years ago. It now sees no use at all since cordless tools have come onto the market and that technology has improved so much over the years. Most of my corded tools are now collecting dust as they have also been replaced by cordless tools.

Repairs to brand name air tools are a bit easier because of parts availability. When you get into some cheaper “offshore” equipment, it’s hit and miss for a successful rebuild. Hopefully you can get a factory service kit for the Atlas Copco. The yellow one may be good for a door stop. lol.

Spring Sun perfect weather took them apart
The Yellow one had a Stuck Bearing in the Air motor Stuck as in fixed -- after using pliers the Air motor moved again but the bearing is trash
This is Taiwanese bearings 2 x Bearings needs replacement Markings are there on them and they are still manufactured
It is a low grade machine giving ca 300 --350 Nm
Needs a couple of O -Rings
Not worth fixing economically see below but perhaps if i can get the bearings ill try for the fun of it

The Atlas Copco the Bearings are also rough 5-6 on a scale 10 .But will run a while more
There the vanes in the Air motor seems to be the problem.
If I cannot get those cheap it is trash
O rings .And the trigger. Maybe Steel Epoxy
So the odds at this point in time is that both are trash ..

BUT perhaps more interesting for this Crowd here
I have looked on line and People are more and more moving away from air tools into battery powered .I don't have many of those.
And if No Compressor that is an Obvious Way Forward.
The air tools at times have better performance .. 1000 Nm or more
And since people are shifting them out they are not so expensive with some Luck
The better brands have service kits .

And if into this you might already have a Compressor for paint and Compressed air
Can be an idea to Stash up A machine could you find one better brand cheap.

The bearings in the Cheapo machine was marked ISK 600izz
Taiwan
.So I sent the manufacturer an e .mail
There appears to be no sales representative here in Sweden
Jaw droppingly I got a response from a sales representative taiwan first workday after Weekend.
That is impressive .Maybe not the best bearings in this world. But not high grade machine either
But they sure have efficiency Customer relations .Impressive.

That cannot be said of all companies here.
More or less Pprrrr...rrrttt as customer service..
Not to mention authorities

If people are going to recycle anything it helps if it is possible at all

Fun to follow along on your rehab projects!
I've a got a working Chicago Pneumatic airgun that is 50 years old.
Can't think of the last time I used it cuz the Milwaukee M18 battery impact is better in every way. So done with fighting airhoses
Also have a Snap on 3/8 air ratchet, basically new, it's a door stop these days.
several other air tools that are just dust collectors.

Fun to follow along on your rehab projects!
I've a got a working Chicago Pneumatic airgun that is 50 years old.
Can't think of the last time I used it cuz the Milwaukee M18 battery impact is better in every way. So done with fighting airhoses
Also have a Snap on 3/8 air ratchet, basically new, it's a door stop these days.
several other air tools that are just dust collectors.
I have a couple of air impacts, an ancient Craftsman that still works, and a Blue Point, likewise.

My use of air impacts declined dramatically when I got a 1/4 inch hex drive 18V Milwaukee, and pretty much died completely when I got a 1/2 inch square drive.

The 1/2 incher is noticeably heavier than either of the air guns, but like gggGary, I'm pretty much over the whole hose thing. Plus I can toss the Milwaukee in the truck and go wherever it's needed.

If I were still building, I'd trade my Bostich nail guns for Paslode units too.

Vane condition is especially important to air tools.
Discovered back in '98, company I worked for had a job at nuke plant in Sweden, we had to design tools to cut out a pipe under water in the reactor vessel. Work was going to performed by hard hat divers as water provides some level of shielding from neutron radiation.
We contracted a company to in Chattanooga to build a saw to make 2 cuts of the 2" heavy wall vent line and a drill bolt holes in the shroud plate to install the replacement line.
I designed a prep tool to make the pipe end preps to prepare for welding. During my research I looked for a pipe prep tool that had fittings for both air in and air out, which most air motors don't have. I settled on a brand built in Italy, purchased 2 units and incorporated them into my design.
During mock-up training in at ABB in Vesteras it was discovered that the tools built by the other company with Ingersoll air motors would deteriorate quickly in performance after a short period of time under water where the tool I was using did not. Needless to sat we purchased several spare air motors for the other tools.
It was discovered at tear down of the air motors that water ingress into the air motors caused the laminated phenolic vanes to swell and disintegrate on the working edges. As it turned out the tools I chose used solid nylon vanes and did not have the issue.
My point here is that moisture in the supply air and lack of adequate tool oiling will cause the same vane degradation as the majority of air motors use laminated vanes.
They are replaceable and not that expensive.

Vane condition is especially important to air tools.
Discovered back in '98, company I worked for had a job at nuke plant in Sweden, we had to design tools to cut out a pipe under water in the reactor vessel. Work was going to performed by hard hat divers as water provides some level of shielding from neutron radiation.
We contracted a company to in Chattanooga to build a saw to make 2 cuts of the 2" heavy wall vent line and a drill bolt holes in the shroud plate to install the replacement line.
I designed a prep tool to make the pipe end preps to prepare for welding. During my research I looked for a pipe prep tool that had fittings for both air in and air out, which most air motors don't have. I settled on a brand built in Italy, purchased 2 units and incorporated them into my design.
During mock-up training in at ABB in Vesteras it was discovered that the tools built by the other company with Ingersoll air motors would deteriorate quickly in performance after a short period of time under water where the tool I was using did not. Needless to sat we purchased several spare air motors for the other tools.
It was discovered at tear down of the air motors that water ingress into the air motors caused the laminated phenolic vanes to swell and disintegrate on the working edges. As it turned out the tools I chose used solid nylon vanes and did not have the issue.
My point here is that moisture in the supply air and lack of adequate tool oiling will cause the same vane degradation as the majority of air motors use laminated vanes.
They are replaceable and not that expensive.

Thank you Sir
The ones in the Atlas Copco tool are by the looks of it laminated Phenolitic vanes.
I suspect a sheet of that can be difficult to find if Atlas Copco is not responding with a service kit.
But a Nylon sheet can be bought I do believe
Then I can make them myself.

If it's a standard thickness you can find various types of phenolic laminate (glass, paper, linen) at McMaster Carr.
The thickness though is critical to remain free in the rotor slots but not too free. The centrifugal force of spinning rotor slings the vanes against the outer drum of the housing to form a seal.
Examine the edges of your vanes looking for delamination or rough edges.

After input from here -- Thank You for that
I wiped the vanes clean and inspected
And could not se any wear inserted into the slots and it was less than 1 mm So I re evaluated
Not much room for new ones
Cleaned the drum and plastic ..Looking like a revolver gun drum
No idea what the white cartridge looking parts are there for .
at 12 o clock the wear can be seen

Cleaned the bearings and applied new grease ..
Assembled taking care it rotated freely
Assembled the trigger part and Air motor .Giving it a little pressure
Not having the correct O -rings
Leaking a lot at the trigger plastic .But now the air motor spins

Seen on internet that steel Epoxy is used for adding material
Will try that if I can figure out the rest

The tweezer looking thing in post # 1 that fell out is still a Mystery for me .But so far On track

IMAG0274.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 3
Back