cant figure out if rectifier i have is only a rectifier or a regulator as well

aftershock

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i bought the rectifier off mikesxs Part #24-2085 it only has 5 spots for wires
3 field and + & -. i have a 78 650 and am trying to eliminate everything except headlight and brake light, and was going to do electric start, i bought a lithium battery which is super small and turns bike over no prob. I have all stock ignition and charging system. (everything worked and ran great before i started project) the reason i bought the new rectifier was i wanted to eliminate all the seperate boxes ( regulator,safety relays,etc.) and just have the one rectifier/regulator. need help figuring out if the one i got will work. on actual unit it say "regulator/rectifier" but on the site is says "recifier only" so confused im assuming the 3 wires go to the 3 white wires from stator, but there is 6 wires coming out of stator 3 yellow and a black, yellow, and green i believe.
so im assuming since the new unit only has 3 "feild" wires and a positive and a neg, i need a seperate regulator??? also read i need to "unground" stator/rotor ass? is this the case if im using all stock ignition and charging sys? thanks guys:banghead:

Attachments

• 24-2085.jpg
    24-2085.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 318
i bought the rectifier off mikesxs Part #24-2085 it only has 5 spots for wires
3 field and + & -. i have a 78 650 and am trying to eliminate everything except headlight and brake light, and was going to do electric start, i bought a lithium battery which is super small and turns bike over no prob. I have all stock ignition and charging system. (everything worked and ran great before i started project) the reason i bought the new rectifier was i wanted to eliminate all the seperate boxes ( regulator,safety relays,etc.) and just have the one rectifier/regulator. need help figuring out if the one i got will work. on actual unit it say "regulator/rectifier" but on the site is says "recifier only" so confused im assuming the 3 wires go to the 3 white wires from stator, but there is 6 wires coming out of stator 3 yellow and a black, yellow, and green i believe.
so im assuming since the new unit only has 3 "feild" wires and a positive and a neg, i need a seperate regulator??? also read i need to "unground" stator/rotor ass? is this the case if im using all stock ignition and charging sys? thanks guys:banghead:

What you have is a rectifier only. You can continue to use the stock mechanical relay type of regulator, or you can do what I did and buy a "Standard VR-115". The VR-115 is an automotive solid state regulator which is cheap to buy and works perfect. No, you do not need to unground anything.

thanks!! can the vr115 be picked up at local auto parts store by any chance??

ok I think I got the wiring to the rectifier, pretty simple, but then where does the regulator fit in? which wires if any coming from stator ass. go to regulator then?
any diagrams or is it easy to explain? thanks for the help

Back