XS650 Tracker Build (Counter Balance Cycles)

westonboege

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
xs650+Tracker.JPG

Just getting started on a new xs build for a local customer. This will be one of the first bikes ill be building under another direction. Should be a blast. Wont be anything too crazy. Just a simple clean cafe/tracker with a few custom parts... Should come together quick.

Fitted an 18" rear drum wheel to the stock disc swingarm and frame. Luckily i have the brake linkage, which was the hardest part to build on the last one I switched over... Front wheel is temporary until my new rubbers get here...

Got a bunch of parts ordered that should be here next week...

Cheers,

wes

Been a few weeks since ive posted. Went on a 1000 mile trip to vermont last weekend. On the way home got into some shit on an offramp. Guy in front of me hit the guardrail trying to dodge a shredded truck tire in the middle of the turn. I avoided it but hit some gravel on the side of the road and high sided my sportster. Little road rash and a few fractures in my foot. Have had alot of time to spend in the shop being immobile...

More updates will happen soon... Have most of the parts i need for this thing.. Should be able to get it running by next weekend...

-TwoManyXS1Bs- Bars are just some low rise tracker bars... if this bike was for me i would put something funky on it.. hahah

Chris+Yamaha+650+01.jpg

Chris+Yamaha+650+02.jpg

Chris+Yamaha+650+03.jpg

Chris+Yamaha+650+04.jpg

Chris+Yamaha+650+05.jpg

Chris+Yamaha+650+06.jpg

Chris+Yamaha+650+07.jpg

Got the seat pan made, covered in foam, and sculpted. Seat is out with Freddy getting some new clothes. Front tire is mounted, and I just removed the rear to get the rear mounted and balanced...

Yami+0001.jpg

Yami+0002.jpg

Got the muffler tab welded to the frame. Getting the hang of this TIG welding stuff...

Yami+0003.jpg

Made a custom exhaust for this one... Starting to really like it. Getting ready to wrap the exhaust soon... should look nice...

Yami+0004.jpg

Bike is coming together... Hopefully I get a few parts that I am waiting on and get her started by this coming weekend...

Hey guys got a question.... What is the bare minimum you need to start a motor? If I try and start it with just ignition switch and coil/ignition wired, will it destroy anything? Or do I need the voltage regulator?

Just want to see how this motor runs before I finish wiring everything in...

I was thinking if I wire a fuse in line to the coil I could protect it...

It's just late and I wanna hear it run... Hahaha

You can start it with just the coil/ignition hooked to a battery

Thats what im currently doing

Ok cool. I gave up last night and just decided to get the rest of the reg rec hooked up to be safe... Should have it going tonight...

Its all down to the wiring and a few last minute frame tweaks now. Spent most of the weekend sweating in my shop. Got the coil wired up and mounted correctly. Mounted the batt box. Got the turns wired in with the handle bar switches. Also got the speedo wired up and all dummy lights connected... This is my first harness from total scratch. Its coming out much better than expected...

Also got the brown seat finished. Its gonna look hot with the final paint...

Few more weeks now...

Chris+Xs+650+0001.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+0002.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+0003.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+0004.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+0005.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+0010.jpg

Westonboege, lookin' good, wish I was there to help, but mostly to learn tig, that one I haven't done yet.
So, I sent our Texas weather up there instead, should help with snowmelt.

Enjoyed your pics, but like others here, the eye wanders off to the backround. Do I spy an Atlas/Craftman 618 back there?

Thanks dudes... Ill always take the warm weather... even tho im sweating my as$ off lately..

TwoManyXS1Bs - you are right that is an old craftsman lathe... old but still does the trick for smaller stuff...

Hey guys, I know ive been pretty lazy on updating this page, but i wanted to make a little time lapse of disassembling and reassembling the bike. I took a couple hundred photos but it will take while to process...

I spent all last week marathon painting and assembling the bike, and took a few snaps as the new owner took it away to ride... Ill get some proper photos later this week...

Chris+Xs+650+001.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+002.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+003.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+004.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+005.jpg

Cheers!

What brand of mufflers do you have on it, they look great. The whole build looks awesome, you did a great job. The smile on the owners face kinda says it all.

Bryan

Last edited:
Back