stalls when put in gear

jclarke

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
first of all i just want to say this is my first post here but i fully intend to use and help this community as much as possible in the future.
anyways here's my problem. I've just recently rebuilt my engine, repainted my entire bike and now I've become stuck. the bike starts runs and idles fine in neutral but as soon as i put it into first gear in jumps forward and dies. furthermore when i try and move it with the clutch in while in first it wont budge. I've tried readjusting the clutch but to no avail. any other ideas? im 90% of the way there and i cant stand to see it sit in my garage anymore!

Clutch plates are stuck together. Put the front wheel against an immoveable object, your house, a tree, whatever, start the bike and hold it in neutral at about 1500 rpm. Get a handful of front brake and drop it into 1st gear. Voila!

I have a feeling I'm going to regret this post.

roy

Hi jc and welcome,
Roy's fix won't work unless the clutch is assembled correctly.
Didja remove and replace the clutch during the rebuild?
Didja know that it'll go back together on any spline line-up but it'll only work right on one of them?
There's things to line up and although I disremember the details you can look them up using the "search" function.

Royboy.........sounds like you've done this before.

jclarke..........I'd like to see an action video of this little operation. Got a helmet?

XStretchified

Hey guys! Sorry about the late reply. I've been busy! Royboys strategy worked! I'd been trying it before but I wasn't bringing it up to high enough Rpms so it would die every time. But now it's all better and it's gone on its first test ride! Thanks so much everyone for helping me get it back on the road! And sorry there's no video nj1639 haha although I appreciate the curiosity as morbid as it may be.

About the "clutch sticks when parked for a while" problem.
For it's first decade my XS650 huddled under a tarp at the back of the carport for the 5 months of a Manitoba winter.
Since then it's huddled at the back of the heated garage for the 5 months of a Saskatchewan winter.
Each Spring I have pulled the clutch in and stomped down on the kickstarter to to make sure the clutch ain't stuck.
Half a turn max. on the motor and she's free, every time.
Not saying the clutches don't stick down hard.
Just saying it hasn't yet happened with mine.

Most of my stuck clutch experience comes from riding observed trials many (like 50) years ago. Put em' away hot, wet and dipped in clay soil mud. When you get around to dealing with it the clutch will be STUCK.:banghead: Oh, and the drum brake will be seized.

roy

when I strt my bike after its ben sitting, I just pull in the clutch, pull full choke, kick untill the kicker goes limp, then let the clutch out, turn bike on, and ride on! The act of my unsticking clutch, also primes the motor with a fresh charge. no more than two kicks once I turn on the powa!:bike:

Clutch plates are stuck together. Put the front wheel against an immoveable object, your house, a tree, whatever, start the bike and hold it in neutral at about 1500 rpm. Get a handful of front brake and drop it into 1st gear. Voila!

I have a feeling I'm going to regret this post.

roy
I got the 1973 Super RustBucket running half-decent yesterday. Way, way more on that in the RustBucket thread, after this weekend.
So, I set out to put it through it's paces again today. Clutch stuck, exactly like the OP of this thread. I did a Forum search, found Royboy's post above, and it fixed it like magic.
The question is why did the clutch get stuck after sitting almost exactly 24 hours? What's up with that? It wasn't stuck yesterday, when it was freshly resurrected. The only relevant thing I can think of is that I'm running the decades-old oil that was in it. But still, clutch gets stuck over-nite???

Back