Sidecar 101

Man me and my best bud were talking about doing a side car on his bike, I would so do this but I have so many projects right now. Just going on my truck alone. Those side car motor races where F'n awesome though!!

Man me and my best bud were talking about doing a side car on his bike, I would so do this but I have so many projects right now. Just going on my truck alone. Those side car motor races where F'n awesome though!!
Glad you like 'em :thumbsup: Put a sidecar in your list of projects, you won't regret it :D

Earlier in this thread I talked about "subframes", they are almost always needed even with the so called "universal sidecars". This one I'm in the process of building for our very own RFLIVES and his awesome sidecartracker build :thumbsup: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5650
cimg6771.jpg
cimg6772w.jpg

it's going to be a winter project for me right now.
So far I have a week long car meet to go to and have to get my car ready for drag racing there and maybe the road course just for the hell of it.

And the truck still needs a full exo cage, custom extended radius arms, homemade headache rack and turbo diesel swap.

another gn400 project needs everything...:D that is going to take up my whole summer.

but if I can get the side car done in less than a month then I'll ride my damn bike for the rest of the winter!! I'll get some arctic winter carrhart coveralls and will be the only girl with frozen boobies crazy enough to ride in a snow storm. MAN I can't wait!!! :D
:beer:

I love riding in the snow :D I hade a few minutes so I welded up the sidecar frame. Proggress is slow but I'll get there :shrug: Welding around tubing is harder then strait pass like on axle plates etc...
cimg7630n.jpg
cimg7633.jpg

This thread is great! I have a 78 Street Tracker and the Spirit of America sidecar will be arriving in a couple weeks. I have started researching the mounts and this thread is giving me some good ideas. My biggest concern is the lower rear mount, as the center stand points were cut off during the Street Tracker build. I will also likely make my own U-clamps for the other three mounts since I have a pretty decent fab/machine setup in my garage. I will post pics as I get further.

hi guys,,, there was a guy in aust....the ex- club president ,,,that had a purple/pink chopper xs650 with a side car .. all matching ...it looked great,,,,, well worth a look to see it ... also a guy in orbost that started the old barstards motorcycle club,, where you have to get your lic. at 70,,, had a mint 1981 gs1000g with a dustings side car ,,, all matching .. and he rode it every where ...regards oldbiker

This is more of a dumping ground for general sidecar info for more xs sidecar info do a search here and on advrider.com

Hey Gordon,

Don't know if your still monitoring this thread but I'll take a chance.

I'm doing a sub frame and trying to use yours as a model. I'm assuming the top mount connects to the front motor mount and the lower rear connects to the center stand mounts on each side. Can't quite figure the one between. Its the short stub in between the other mounts going by your photo.

Would appreciate any guidance here.

Thanks,
Jack

Earlier in this thread I talked about "subframes", they are almost always needed even with the so called "universal sidecars". This one I'm in the process of building for our very own RFLIVES and his awesome sidecartracker build :thumbsup: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5650
cimg6771.jpg
cimg6772w.jpg

This is a great thread, I just love sidecars and have been promising myself a decent rig for the last 8 years. No more excuses I guess, just have to dedicate a bike to it now.
I've put more than 27,000k's on this wizzer in the last 3 years but it only does 80k/hr flat out, handles pretty good though, even with 6 adults in it haha.

Attachments

• DSCF1219.jpg
    DSCF1219.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCF1239.jpg
    DSCF1239.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 382
Jack,
I'm going to fab up another subframe for mine. I didn't like how it turned out the first time. Fred(from the list) sent me some sketches of his 3rd (or 4th?) version of a XS subframe. I'm going to steal his ideas, I plan to utilize a spare front motor mount and centerstand. Still in the planning stages, but I think it'll be a lot stronger and cleaner than my first attempt.
Mike

Hey Mike,

Fred was kind enough to send me a set of plans as well. I have already cut up a front motor mount but will probably use round stock instead of square.

Trying to pull ideas from both sub frames (Freds & Gordons).

I'm trying to find out if Gordons uses a third frame attachment point. I'm looking for as much strength as possible.

Jack

Jack,

I'm going to fab up another subframe for mine. I didn't like how it turned out the first time. Fred(from the list) sent me some sketches of his 3rd (or 4th?) version of a XS subframe. I'm going to steal his ideas, I plan to utilize a spare front motor mount and centerstand. Still in the planning stages, but I think it'll be a lot stronger and cleaner than my first attempt.
Mike

The third mounting point is the fourth picture in that link it is a clamp that goes around the lower frame rail. and the rear mounts actually bolt to the exhaust mounts on both sides not the centerstand

Thank you that answers my question. I looked at the fourth picture and couldn't figue out what was going on. I was already considering using the exhaust mounts as an additional mounting location along with the center stand mounts.

How is your build holding up? Really enjoyed reading it.

Jack

The third mounting point is the fourth picture in that link it is a clamp that goes around the lower frame rail. and the rear mounts actually bolt to the exhaust mounts on both sides not the centerstand

Hi,

I have a unique leaning or articulated sidecar called a Flexit linked up to my K100RS Beemer. I went through the whole frame build project with TONS of work. Love the welds in the pics above and hope to have a TIG welder someday. I made my frame with a MIG wire spool Lincoln welder.

Here is a YouTube of my Flexit in action:

Hi All, I just became aware of the recent questions but looks like they have been addressed :thumbsup: Like RF said the subframe connects to both sides of the bike and to the front downtube, centerstand brackets would not be strong enough. Glad to see so many people interested in the thread, sidecars can be great fun :D

Hey scott was wondering if I could get your opinion on a side car I'm putting together for a customer. This will only be used as a utility cart for tools and such, but I'd rather not have it turn into a death trap. I was looking for some guidance on the suspension any ideas or thoughts are appreciated (the cheaper the better)
20130425_001305_zps8074d4ce.jpg

Back