Cost of a motor rebuilt

newell

79 Special...
Reaction score
How much does it cost to have a motor rebuilt by someone, I am new to this and really don't trust myself and I think that my motor will need a rebuild at the end of the season if not sooner... Thanks

Generally? More than you ever want to pay.

Also, you should define:
- is it out of the frame already?
- top end/bottom end/both?
- what is the issue requiring the rebuild?

At a guess? anywhere from $500 to $4k.

Well, when my '78/E started to show signs that a rebuild was due, I just bought an '81/H with low miles (<9,000) that was also in very good condition for $700.

If the engine is due, then could be that a lot of other parts are due for replacement as well.

Here is a list of other parts on the '78/E that were due for replacement that came with the '81/H in excellent condition:

1. Torn seat. '81 had perfect no tear like new seat.
2. Frame needed painting. Only a couple of marks on the '81 frame. No rust.
3. Aluminum rims were in bad shape. The '81 had like new chrome rims in perfect shape.
4. Rusty fenders. Replaced with perfect fenders on the '81.
5. Rusty handle bars. Ditto.
6. Clutch had 62,000 miles. '81 had <9,000 miles.
7. Other misc. parts too numerous to mention were replaced with like new parts.

So, more bang for your buck.

Last edited:
I got almose $5,000 into my motor. Between the big bore kit, Branson ingnition, deloroto Carbs, new Cam Shaft and all the other little shit.... just me it all adds up fast LOL. It your going to keep the bike for a very long time, it's very worth it

+1 more than the bike is worth. If you really want to keep the bike a swap makes the most sense IF you know the swap engine is good and it can be a bit tricky to "know". buy a titled runner for 700 and sell the frame/title for a couple of hundred at least.

Last edited:
Depends on how much you want rebuilt.. I have the cases apart and stripped. Got them degreased, soda blasted and washed (in some upright automotive dishwasher?). That all added to 100 bux for the soda and wash. Im replacing all the crank bearings (500 bux) connecting rods and big end bearings (140 bux). Transmission bearings, 5th gear, clutch plates, springs, seals,etc... and then the top end... :(

sorry to high jack a bit but didnt want to start a whole new thread just for this, does anyone know if there is someone in or around the north east Florida area that does motor work on XS's? i have looked and cant seem to find anyone that will work on it. thanks in advance. :)

Any motorcycle garage other than a dealership will work on it.

Now back to the original thread:
$500 for crank bearings? $140 for rod bearings? :)

Any motorcycle garage other than a dealership will work on it.

Now back to the original thread:
$500 for crank bearings? $140 for rod bearings? :)

Oh ya...

2 Inner and Left side 3x 85.00
1 Outer right side 1 x 125.00
--- = 380.00 before tax and shipping.:yikes:

Con rod kit (hey the cranks apart so...) 2 x 60 + tax and shipping ..

The con rod kit includes crank pin, thrust washers and big end bearing.

xjwmx, thanks for that but i have already been to a the ones around my area and they either are solely harley, or do not work on anything that old. i even asked the guy that works on my Harley and he didnt even know any shop that still work on that type of stuff. and i dont really want just any idiot that says he can do it to work on it and put it in a worse spot then what i what i can do. wish it had been that simple though. soooo... question still posed.

Have you tried a salvage yard? We have one in town who also sells new bikes (Shitty Hyosungs) but will fix anything and since they have been around for 25 years they know how to fix old stuff.

On the other hand, my local new new new bike shop wont even consider it. I guess they make enough money from oil changes??

Usually there's a guy or two in town with general purpose mc garages. If it's a real garage where the space costs money to rent, you can assume he's good enough to keep a roof over his head....

Highspeed: the second one seems to be what i keep running into unfortunately, as far as salvage yards, there really isn't anything like that for bikes around my area, everything is just cars. all of the salvage yards i have been to around here only have maybe one bike in the whole yard and usually nothing even close to being helpful. thanks for the suggestion though. i will certainly keep and eye and ear open. :)

XJWMX: that is my problem i cant seem to find many general purpose mc garages around and the few that i have been able to find are mostly Harley and "dont really work on this type of bike" seems like all may be lost and i will just have to hopefully figure out whats up and bumble through it myself. thanks for the advice anyway though :)

thanks for the help... i will defiantly consider trying to swap, my dad has a few motors lying around so who knows... thanks again

+1 For Thomas Racing. I called them the other day to get some pricing and that guy talked to me for about 1/2 an hour just asking me what I really wanted out of the motor. They know how to not waste your money:thumbsup:

I lucked into finding a retired machinist to do the spec work- jugs bored, valves done. Very affordable. I'm the breakdown and put together guy.
You can always ask a small engine repair shop ( lawnmowers, chainsaw etc).

I paid a guy who builds high performance boat engines around 1700$ to rebuild mine including parts and machining. Not that happy with his work. Lesson learned, want to rebuild a bike engine, pay a person who rebuilds bike engines!

Back