Introducing Me and my 1983 Heritage Special Restoration

Keyxs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I did post my story somewhere else, but cannot find it, or the website now, so let me start again!

I did some work for a friend, and would not accept payment... friends are friends right?
After I did some more stuff, one day she told me she was going to give me a "Thankyou Gift", and I had to accept it as such.
She took me to her overgrown side yard and pointed at an old tatty tarp, and said my gift was wrapped up waiting....

I pulled back the tarp, and there she was...
SURPRISE!:yikes:

IMG_3077.jpg

DSC04644e.jpg

DSC04642Flipe.jpg

DSC04643e.jpg

DSC04644e.jpg

DSC04640e.jpg

Yup, a 2 owner 1983 Heritage Special with 10,906 miles.
It was my friends Ex-Husbands, and he bought it used, about 18 months old, and rode it daily until one time the swig arm bolt broke, and he tucked it away to fix later...
There it sat.... for 20 years!
I met up with him at the DMV, and the paperwork was all squared up, and she is MINE!
He was pleased to hand her over, and is happy she will be loved again!

That all done I went back a few weeks later with my truck, and tools to extract her from her slumber..
Tires were aired, chain was lubed, and I pulled her out..

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

After a lot of WD40 and grunting, I got her up and strapped in my lifted Truck and took her home!
IMG_3101.jpg

On getting her home, I did a good wipe down with WD40, and she was looking better..
IMG_3106.jpg

I did an quick inventory:
The was still gas in the tank, and I could not see any rust inside. Oil looks cleanish, there was no battery, front brake reservior was empty, and front pads dragging badly, tires are are hard as concrete, but holding air. Rims rusty, as is much of the chromework.
But its all there, and I like it!
Had a lot of prolems getting the saddle off, but got it done.

I bought a Battery, and for fun, spun her over....
She fired!
20 year old gas, and it started!
Did not run for more than 15 sec, and the carbs, being all gummed up, they quickly started to gush fuel out everywhere...

I did a cold compression test...
125psi and 135psi.
IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

I am sure the numbers would be better once I run it a bit, but I did pour Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and left it.

I did find a mouse had been living in the battery box, and had the munchies...
Wires.jpg

Drained the gas and oil, and the filters, and drain magnets looked like this...
IMG_3255Crop.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

I pulled off the tank, and cleaned it inside and out...
Petcock filter was clean, as was the tank inside.... that tank full of gas clearly protected it.
IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

Carbs were removed, and set aside for cleaning..
The Airfilters were a real mess... Mouldy!
IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

My opening order looked like this..
IMG_3259.jpg

I pulled off the engine side plate to practice my polishing skills..
IMG_3821.jpg

Better now...
DSC04703.jpg

And that is about as far as I got in 2009...
Its been a messy couple of years..
A divorce, 3 home moves, and a job loss.
Lost my HD on my computer, and with it lots of other photos... I only had what was on Photobucket.

Now things are more settled and I want to start doing things again!

I found a pair of wheels locally, that had good rims and new spokes, and were the 64 spoke correct items.
The tank was good, but had a few small dings, and some surface rust where it was against the saddle. One of the side panels was cracked and deformed where the bike was resting against the pole, so I found one on Ebay.
The tank and side panels are being painted, and I should have them back soon!

I like the idea of a Sunday morning cruise along PCH, or enjoying this California sunshine.
I am looking at a stock restoration, with a few "Upgrade mods".

My plan is to strip the bike to the frame, so I can replace that chewed harness section, and while I am there, have the frame blasted and Powdercoated or Painted.

Replace what needs to be replaced, clean and restore the rest to original.

So thats where I am at today...
Comment, Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks Weekend Rider!

Is it me or are these bikes getting collectable?
I was stunned to see that "new in Box" HS on Ebay recently!

So lets start with the questions....

I live in California, and this will be a dry weather bike.
What is a a good tire choice for front and rear for looks and performance?
Can I go wider/fatter on the rear?

It looks like you're planning to go all the way through it so make sure you don't cut corners on the sump filter as too many are prone to do.

I ride an '83 as well.

Yes, I will be doing it as best I can!
Its been a while, and the bike and parts are in my storage, but I am pretty sure thats the sump filter in the middle of my parts stash pic.

I already bought the updated swing arm bolt and bushings, and plan to do the roller conversion to the head race if thats the best.

Its just a matter of spends a little ever month until I have all the parts together.
I somehow messed up, and only ordered 1 carb rebuild kit...

Just remembering what I have done...

I removed the front caliper as it was sticking, even with no fluid.
I inspected, bagged and labeled all the parts.
I was surprised to find the the Caliper bore was good inside, and the powdercoat cleaned up really nice, so that was wrapped and put aside.

DSC04704.jpg

DSC04706.jpg

The Chromed Piston had a big rust pit thru the coating.
I have a rebuild kit, and ordered a solid SS piston from Germany, but will give the bore a light hone.

I will have to replace or have some of the Chromework redone...
Can you get stuff like a front mudgaurd rechromed cost effectively, or is it better to replace them?

Keyxs;

You'll have a great bike there with a little work, (well actually lots of work).

Click on the "Tech" at top of page, for loads of info.

The "Search" function at top right also very useful.

Rusty components..................buy a tube of "Autosol" ..............it can do wonders to remove that rust.

Tires, I recommend Bridgestone F-11 series. These tires have a dual compound tread, hard in the center for mileage and soft on the sides for grip. I've had many XS650's, installed these tires on most of them.
At present I to have an 83 Heritage Special and I have the F-11's on it as well.

Yes, Lots of work, but you can't beat the price!
As I read somewhere... This thread is NOTHING without pictures...

I have a pretty well equipped garage, and yes, a 1/2lb tin of Autosol already!

What is the best tire sizes front and rear?

I always run the factory recommended sizes.

I tend to do the same. Wider than stock is better in a straight line but everything is a trade-off. Wider tires (especially wider rear tires) can cause negative effects in cornering on motorcycles. Narrower than stock MIGHT help you in the corners but will cause the bike to get wiggly when driving on seams.

Good to see you on board Keyxs, I believe you had started a thread on the old 650rider site. That mouse chew looks vaguely familiar.
The HS's are good models and appreciated by some, disdained by others and the Specials are overall sought for chopbobbin thus making a stock one rarer and rarer. Good on ya and looking forward to the progress as I'm a bit biased.
Oh yeah...try to find the lower side covers if you don't have them, an HS isn't complete without them.

Last edited:
YES!
That was it... 650Rider!
Lower side panels?
Not sure if mine are missing... are they?

For the record, I have not ridden a Bike since before this one was built.... so excuse my Newbie questions and general stupidity!

I have looked thru the Tech, and used the Search, but I am unsure if what is good for a '75 is also good for an '83.

Since I am NOT gonna be ripping along, or getting my knee down any time soon... deliberately....
I was thinking about tire choice purely from the visual aspect...
Keep the front stock, and go as fat as possible at the rear.... I was also thinking about maybe putting some longer tubes in the front to give it a more raked look... if thats not toooooo stupid!
One of my issues is I am 6' 4" and about 230lb... so a biggish kinda guy, so I want the bike to stand tall and look big.... if that makes any sense?

I dont want to do anything to this one that cant be undone, and although the "Cafe racer Style" is sweet, i am just plain to big to tuck in!

An excellent start on a bike with lots of potential. :thumbsup:
I recently put new tires on my bike. An 82 Heritage with 64 spoke rims like yours. I used Bridgestone Spitfire S11, I used the stock size 130-90-16 rear, 100-90-19 front, and I used tubes. A lot of people seem to like these tires.
Here's one fairly recent thread. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5779
More available with search.

Lower side panels...
Ok, got it now... looks like my RS is there, but LS is missing...
Are they painted?

I went with a 36mm xs750 front end for almost 2 inches higher in the front and some 11" shocks for the rear. The fork swap did put some rake to it but not too radical, also being 36mm instead of 35 it's a bit beefier.
Tire choices are about as varied as oil choices. I'm running Dunlop 404's and am going to see how they wear and then decide where I'll go from there.
Not to toot my horn but here's a link to the changes that I've made over the last few years....
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=66518#post66518 May have to cut and paste the link. Look for the lower side covers.

Back