Ebay Rebel 250 shocks

timeconsuming

In Nonsense Is Strength
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm sure this topic is overdone but search function led me to old for sale threads...

Anyway I'm considering picking these guys up and was curious if anyone had experience with 'em and anything worth noting about running them before I drop in to a hasty ebay purchase.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Rebel...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=271257896585&

I plan on lowering my forks in the triples about an inch or so but dont mind a slightly taller front end, and I have my fender chopped so I don't forsee issues with tire rub.

You may have to shorten your kickstand once you lower your forks and put these shocks on. The center stand is going to be really hard to use as well.

A rebel 250 is 150 pounds lighter than an XS, and has about 20% less unsprung weight to manage. They will be under sprung and under damped as well. If you don't mind a hobby horse bottoming out pogo suspension, go ahead and buy them. Good suspension costs good money, and is made for, or tailorable to the application.
Just 2 pennies worth.

I also have a 2003 marauder Suzuki. a lot of guys put the rebel shocks on them. its a 500lbs bike.
I got a set of savage shock for free and tried them, no pogo. savages are lighter too. the savage and rebel shock mount exactly the same, the savage shocks don't have those holes around the bottom, wich I don't like. I just have the preload on the stiffest setting. on the marauders, it lowers all most 2 inches. The stock marauder shocks have a cover over the spring, and I wanted to see the spring. savage shocks aren't as shiny as rebel shocks, but like I said, got for free.
So, that's another shock that fits the xs. later savage shocks.

I've been running the rebel shocks and haven't noticed the pogo stick effect or any type of bottoming out. I only weigh in at a light 200lbs...

I haven't ridden mine yet but the rebel shocks seem, if anything, stiffer than stockers. I also have my forks 1 inch down in the triples and it sits strait up and down on the stock kickstand and is a pita to get on the center... I believe it's a direct swap as far as mounting. I'm running different top mounts so not positive.

A rebel 250 is 150 pounds lighter than an XS, and has about 20% less unsprung weight to manage. They will be under sprung and under damped as well. If you don't mind a hobby horse bottoming out pogo suspension, go ahead and buy them. Good suspension costs good money, and is made for, or tailorable to the application.
Just 2 pennies worth.

the lower mount on the honda is closer to the swingarm pivot than on the xs, so the leverage changes. that is why those shocks work well on xs650's. some might say the ride is even a little stiff, compared to the stock xs shocks.

the lower mount on the honda is closer to the swingarm pivot than on the xs, so the leverage changes. that is why those shocks work well on xs650's. some might say the ride is even a little stiff, compared to the stock xs shocks.

That makes sense.:thumbsup: After studying some pics they are laid down considerably as well on the Rebel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses gentlemen!

I'm a light weight 150lbs and will be running solo at all times with the chance of maybe some camping gear on the back.

I'm probably going to go ahead and order these, so thanks again for the feedback.

I have been using a pair of used eBay Suzuki Savage shocks for a few years, and they are fine. But I too have always been curious about the inexpensive after market new eBay Rebel shocks that the original poster linked too. Are they just cheap junk, or are they any good? Would like to hear from any one who actually has those specific shocks, or from timeconsuming if he does but a pair.

Back