How to free up a stuck clutch?

Stone

Just Livin
Reaction score
searched a bit but didnt find exactly what I was looking for, whats the best way to free up a clutch that is stuck? the right way that is...not starting it and popping it in gear...

or if anyone knows where a previous thread is at I would appreciate it. trying to get this done as we speak so any help would be much appreciated.

If you can get it into neutral just find a steep hill and dump it into second while feathering the clutch lever in and out > Worked for my bike

seafoam in the oil, warm up the bike in neutral. push the bike up to speed and hop on, shift it into 1st or second and ride it around a little bit, pulling the clutch and releasing it, should free up pretty quickly. oil change after a few miles.

The right way? pull it apart, separate the plates, I did this to mine a few months ago and the clutch has "re stuck" since due to sitting (waiting for paint to get done).
Reading other threads on this clutch problem indicates I need to deglaze the steel drive plates, this is done by rubbing the plates on the concrete floor in a figure 8 pattern to scuff them up, I've also got a new set of friction plates to go in.
This "deglazing" suggestion is arguable, some have done it this way for years, I had a Ducati that needed this done every 10 to 15000klm to reduce clutch slip, any way that's my next step to unstick them and keep them unstuck.
Any alternate views on the method of deglazing out there...........
cheers

get it running, get moving it first after the oil has warmed up, pull the clutch in and keep accelerating and backing off the throttle. Worked every time for me.

The way littlebill suggested works well and you don't have to push it home tired.
Pulling it apart is the best.
When I had mine apart I used some 120 sandpaper to sand off the burr left from when they stamped the steel plates out.
The stamping process leaves a burr on the inner teeth and on the outside diameter. The burr on the teeth can grab on the hub and slow the action or even hold the plates apart.
I also used the 120 to clean off any colored spots. All the same color.
The roughness left after sanding grips very well.
I also put in new Forodo friction plates and heavier springs. No slipping and with the cable and worm well lubed, and properly adjusted it pulls ok. I can pull the lever with two fingers.

The right way? pull it apart, separate the plates, I did this to mine a few months ago and the clutch has "re stuck" since due to sitting (waiting for paint to get done).
Reading other threads on this clutch problem indicates I need to deglaze the steel drive plates, this is done by rubbing the plates on the concrete floor in a figure 8 pattern to scuff them up, I've also got a new set of friction plates to go in.
This "deglazing" suggestion is arguable, some have done it this way for years, I had a Ducati that needed this done every 10 to 15000klm to reduce clutch slip, any way that's my next step to unstick them and keep them unstuck.
Any alternate views on the method of deglazing out there...........
cheers

I had a Harley that occasionally required me to pull the clutch plates on the side of the road and scrape them on the concrete curbs just so I could get it home. Those old Shovels were so easy to work on...

Last edited:
The six for the springs? Yes they can be a bit tight. A hand impact tool is just the ticket to get them out. The tool you hit with a hammer, not plug in the air hose, or wall.

Back