Mikes XS PMA vs Hughs Hand Built PMA ? which to buy?

RCGRT

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently looking into rephasing my XS650 and going Pamco and PMA. I didn't realize that Mikes XS sold a PMA kit until recently, otherwise I was planning on buying it from Hughs Hand Built. Can anyone tell me the pros cons of either? Mikes XS is showing the complete kit for 280.00 (on sale right now...)
Thanks in advance...

The biggest con I can see is the Mikes does not build their PMA therefore they would not be able to really provide any kind of tech support should you have a problem. On the other hand Hugh actually builds, runs and has a vast knowledge base about the item he sells. Also Hugh provides some of the best customer support around based on the statements of other members here on this forum. I can't speak from any personal dealings but if you look around here everyone has nothing but good things to say about Hugh and his support. I did a PMA from bits I located through e-bay primarily for the experience but if there is a next time I am going with Hugh's PMA.

Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking as well, I've read lots and lots of good reviews on Hugh's work as well. I just thought I'd ask. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for better quality as well as tech support, not to mention supporting a good cause! Unless someones posts up a reallllllly good reason why I should consider Mikes, I think that pretty much sums up my decision...Thanks again!

Is Hugh doing your re-phase?

I'm haven't decided yet, if I give it out for someone else to do it'll definitely be him!
But at this point I'm planning on doing all of that work myself...mostly in effort of saving some money, but it also wont hurt to learn / know my motor better...

Haha! Yep, I'm not sure that doing so isn't beyond me either, but so far I'm thinking about giving it a go!

:thumbsup:You guys are very kind. I really appreciate that! Your continued support helps fund new product development. I had an opportunity to sell my parts through MikesXS, but the amount I have to discount the kits to sell through them put me below my actual costs. I couldn't keep up with demand AND take a loss on products. We offer only the best components, with a 1 year no questions asked warranty.

The kits sold through XScharge (TC Bros, MikesXS, etc..) seem to be working quite well. Theirs is 130 watts, and ours is 200 watts. We do try to offer some of the best customer service possible, as it is more important to me to see these old bikes running and folks enjoying their time with them than making huge profits... In order to do that, we simply cannot offer lower quality components to make our kits cheaper.

That said, if anyone is struggling to make the 10% difference in cost justifiable, email me and I'll be glad to work with you, offer a small discount, etc... Especially if you purchase any of our other products at the same time :thumbsup:

Hugh - Hugh's HandBuilt

:thumbsup:You guys are very kind. I really appreciate that! Your continued support helps fund new product development. I had an opportunity to sell my parts through MikesXS, but the amount I have to discount the kits to sell through them put me below my actual costs. I couldn't keep up with demand AND take a loss on products. We offer only the best components, with a 1 year no questions asked warranty.

The kits sold through XScharge (TC Bros, MikesXS, etc..) seem to be working quite well. Theirs is 130 watts, and ours is 200 watts. We do try to offer some of the best customer service possible, as it is more important to me to see these old bikes running and folks enjoying their time with them than making huge profits... In order to do that, we simply cannot offer lower quality components to make our kits cheaper.

That said, if anyone is struggling to make the 10% difference in cost justifiable, email me and I'll be glad to work with you, offer a small discount, etc... Especially if you purchase any of our other products at the same time :thumbsup:

Hugh - Hugh's HandBuilt

This is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post. I have to give you your props Hugh. It is not very often that people will step in and offer to work with a customer even at the possibilty of cutting their margins just to help keep these classics on the road and being enjoyed by their riders. Thank you for your support and constant work at making a difference.

I wouldn't think tech support alone should be a contributing factor on which product to consider since it's relatively simple and all the tech support in the world is right here.

Both kits have the obvious advantages over one another. I'm not too sure about the Mikes kit yet as XSDirect does not have one listed but I'll assume it's an XSCharge based product. Buying from Hugh though would be like supporting one of your friends though.

Hugh - Hugh's HandBuilt

SOLD!
The simple fact that you chimed in and shared some words just shows your dedication to what you do...(plus I might earn some needed brownie points for when I'm standing there with three pieces of crankshaft in my hands scratching my head...hahahaha)

I wouldn't think tech support alone should be a contributing factor on which product to consider since it's relatively simple and all the tech support in the world is right here.

You're right, tech support alone should not be a deciding factor. That's why Hugh's is a no-brainer.:thumbsup:

xs-charge is the brand that mikesxs is selling. it is the same kit that i sell and tyler at tcbros sells. richard page in florida is the supplier of this kit. his website has all the information needed for installation, and each kit comes with very detailed instructions. tyler at tcbros, myself at wiseguys, and richard page are all avaliable for questions and trouble shooting.... however you have to initiate the call because we cant read your minds.... mikesxs has a deal with their counters in canada and japan about cross country selling. if 650direct doesnt have the kits available yet then that means mikesxs hasnt set them up with a distributorship yet. if you are in canada and want this kit please call me as i ship to canada weekly, and sometimes daily. as far as kits go i am sure as i have said in the past that hugh has a good kit. i dont have one so i am making an assumption based on his history with the xs650 motorcycle. the xs-charge kit i can speak on as i am selling and use this kit myself. there are no issues with warranty, parts replacement, or customer satisfaction. the unit puts out 130 watts. the first three years of production of the xs put out 100 watts stock. that ran the headlight, taillights, turn signals, and ignition systems. after that 130 watts from the factory. and remember the stock charging systems are parasitic on the battery. if you are running an xs650 with lights, turn signals then a non parisitic pma kit that puts out 130 watts is plenty. most of the kits i sell the buyers also purchase a capacitor to go with it to replace the battery. so no battery and still plenty of power. most of my customers are greatly impressed with the power to the plugs at the higher rpms compared to the stock battery systems. yes i am sure mikesxs gets a better deal as a distributor then i do..... hell i am the small dog in that kennel. i can only keep 3 on the shelf at a time so my purchasing price is i am sure the highest per unit as a distributor but i still sell them at the same price at 289 retail. mikesxs and tcbros dont have to sell thru ebay and so they save 11 percent right off the bat there too. i dont know hughs prices per unit so i cant know about his sales thru mikes but what i can say is that if 130 watts will run everything and still have reserve power then i cant see spending more money for more wattage that i cant use up. it is great to see loyalty in a customer seller relastionship but please dont be talking negatively about someones elses product on assumption only without any contact or direct knowledge of product. that kind of stuff hurts the small guys trying to make a living handmaking products for these 30 year old bikes.

Joe you have made some good points, good luck to you. Quick question: Where is the parasitic drain on the stock charging system, is it the feedback wire on the reg/rec or grounding?

Joe some ride year round and run electrical vests and gloves. The extra power is needed. I do like the idea of using the same key for the rotor but I altered a spare per Hugh's instructions and it worls great.

oops. tonyc that is correct ... for those that want to run resistant heated vests etc you will at least want to run a battery. i am so used to dealing with the minimullist riders, the bobber and tracker guys that dont want any extra on their bikes i forget about those that will use other assys on them. i do know that rick page is having a bigger wattage kit built now for just that reason. so he will be offering the original kit and a larger one for just those riders that you mentioned. thanks.

Joe, isnt the xscharge kit more of a plug n play system? where the hughs kit needs the wire harness assembled?

Back