Anybody look down there nose at your xs?

rusty rocket

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Had a punk kid on one of my job sites over hear a conversation about working on my motorcycle. He asks what kind of bike I was working on and I said a xs650 yamaha tracker, he gives me this stupid I,m better than you look and they rolls up his sleave to show me his stupid ass h-d tattoo. I told him whatever buddy Let me guess you have a sportster and he says well yeah but im saving up for a big twin (WHATEVER YA PUKE). Ive had triumphs, BSA,s, bmw, Huskys and a Harley and always had complements on all but my xs. What gives is it because I live near Sturgis and this is Harley country? I dont think people give the xs the credit it deserves. anybody else get this crap from people.

Id rather have a sporty than anything else in their line up.....Mid controls and unlimited customization. Big twin..Billet dump truck or tassled dump truck. hmm. Neighbour next door to me has a new Fat boy... I think i saw him out like 5 times last summer on it. As bad as the sportbikes around here. 2000km's on an 06 GSXR for sale, tons of em like that. Fuck i put 17000 km's on my 2010 Versys already, Plus 11,000 to the east coast coming up in summer here., Atleast they look good in the garage..

I have had the same happen, until they actually see my bike, then they seem to shut their mouth. I always remind them I built it, and they walked onto a lot to purchase theirs.

Nope.

When I go to bike nights, I'm usually the only XS650 there, and other bikers give me lots of compliments. They all have the story about when they had an XS650, and wish they never sold it. One biker I keep running into, has asked me several times to sell it to him, but I just say its not for sale. I've even had guys in cars, in an adjacent lane on the highway, give me the thumbs up signal. Sometimes I feel like a rock star:D

Yeah, must be that HD country area you live in. The locals may not even know there are other makes besides HD's.

I've had both good and bad comments here.More good than bad.People either dig it or think it's not a harley so why am I building it.I feel sorry for those poor unfortunate SOB's. :D I've got plenty of friends with harleys and they don't care what I ride, just that I ride.I love it because you won't see one like it anytime soon around here.

My 75 always got a bunch of compliments... even from the most grizzled HD guys... I don't know how anyone else will like my full custom I am building now.. and when the old 650 ate up a few local 883s... I can't wait to see what happens when I save up for a rephased 750...

I had a few thought it was a Triumph or a Norton at first glance...(engine all flat black & no name plates)..

Actually have 3 other guys at work 2 ride hd's and the other a v star, they dont make fun of my bike any more since we all cruised over to an ice house for a few beers and 20+ people came over to check out my bike and theirs didnt even get a SECOND LOOK ! Bwhaaaaaa shut them right up !!

Actually have 3 other guys at work 2 ride hd's and the other a v star, they dont make fun of my bike any more since we all cruised over to an ice house for a few beers and 20+ people came over to check out my bike and theirs didnt even get a SECOND LOOK ! Bwhaaaaaa shut them right up !!

Now that's funny!

ive always had old harleys [30's-50's ] an still have 'em . got into xs650 couple years ago . harley parts are thru the roof . wanted to get back to building affordable fun bikes again . never get to much heat from the h-d guys now for riding jap stuff.when i do its usually the new yuppie with the brand new h-d , thats when i laugh at 'em an tell 'em someday ill own a harley ... only if he knew what i got home , flattys an pans.something the'll never own or know how to ride or wrench on !!:D :bike:

I've had a few funny looks. But mostly have been complements. I went to the hardware store and when I came out there was a father and son taking pictures of my bike. Which is nothing special and is not a show piece. He was telling him that he had a bike like this when he was a kid. And asked if I would sell it.

I'm still trying to find a large Jap Crap patch that I put on my jacket.

Mines more "Rat bike" than fancy but in Alberta I get a lot of thumbs up and compliments for having a bike this old and wrenching on it myself. Drives my wife nuts when she's around and people are gushing over the bike...

Had a punk kid on one of my job sites over hear a conversation about working on my motorcycle. He asks what kind of bike I was working on and I said a xs650 yamaha tracker, he gives me this stupid I,m better than you look and they rolls up his sleave to show me his stupid ass h-d tattoo. I told him whatever buddy Let me guess you have a sportster and he says well yeah but im saving up for a big twin (WHATEVER YA PUKE). Ive had triumphs, BSA,s, bmw, Huskys and a Harley and always had complements on all but my xs. What gives is it because I live near Sturgis and this is Harley country? I dont think people give the xs the credit it deserves. anybody else get this crap from people.

Don't know; sure as hell don't care!

Nope. I get ignored a lot when I wave at Yuppies on Harleys and $30,000 Wingers, but when I stop for gas or whatever, the folks that bother to comment are usually positive and often curious.

im my biggest critic. I get alot of looks, but no one ever says anything. seattle freeze, you know.

hi guys ,,,,,i,d have to say yes,,,,,,BUT,,,, i,d say its the want/a/be persons ,,,,that will never buy or own /ride a bike....regards oldbiker

For most folks its a lot easier to buy a new bike, like some sort of Harley, than to find a working or salvagable XS650 for 1/10th the cost. so it might just be a case of xs envy.

i like my xs,i luv my xs but funny enough i also due to injurys also own a piggio mp3 250(the one with 2 wheels on the front)scooter which i use as a runner around.when i park it out side the pub and a large num of harleys come through(im on theweekend bike circit) people walk stright pass the harleys to spend time looking over the mp3 (doesnt it give them the shits) some times think alot of people are over the harley crazy given they dont hold their value/they all look simmerler/and cost a fortune for parts and to keep running,not to menshion the atitudes.where here in oz xs,s are going up in value/relible/and parts are not to dear

Back