Homemade and Unique Tools

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let's see some of the homemade tools you guys have made!

Sometimes when you're working in your garage or shop, the tool you need doesn't exist. Or maybe you're cheap or don't want to run to the store to get some simple tool. Maybe you can build a tool that's stronger than what you can buy. Whatever the reason, let's see the tools you've made.

Also, let's see the unique tools that you don't see in every toolbox, but are very handy to have around.

I'm sure you've seen this one before. The $2 carburetor synchronizer. Works great!
carbsync.jpg

Beefed up clutch hub holder tool. The one I got from mikesxs crumpled when getting a stubborn clutch center nut off. It's made from 4 old steel clutch plates tacked together.
clutchholder.jpg

The pieces I made for using electrolysis to get rust out of gas tanks. More info on that process.
electrolysis01.jpg

A couple of cheap ground down and bent screwdrivers and wrenches. I use the two screwdrivers on the left for removing pilot jets and mixture screws. I think I bent the cheap wrench to get at a bolt when removing an xs650 starter with the motor still in the bike.
bentgrind.jpg

These two aren't homemade or all that unique, but they come in handy and you don't see them in every tool box. The locking adjustable wrench works better than I ever imagined. It will grab nuts and bolts very tight and will even loosen ones that good wrenches will strip. The double pivot needle nose pliers are great for reaching into narrow deep places.
unique.jpg

I use my trusty 1/2" drive air impact gun for clutch nut. Just use a glove or rag to hold the center hub. Comes right off every time.:cool:

Yeah, my 1/2" impact isn't so trusty. It sucks so bad I don't usually even get it out. The mikesxs clutch holder was usually good enough for holding the clutch but this one was on so tight that I had to make that tool and use a breaker bar. A good ½"impact probably would have done the job, but that tool didn't cost me anything and it's nice to have around.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I have personally resorted to hammer and chisel. But i'm older and hopefully wiser now.:D

A few more:

Heavy Duty Scraper
hdscraper.jpg

Top Dead Center Stop. Have to be careful when using this on the XS 650 you don't hit a valve. Made this using an old spark plug. It was a lot more work hollowing it out that I thought it would be.
tdc.jpg

Little pump for setting fork air pressure
forkair.jpg

For holding various fork damper rods
forkdamper.jpg

Made this to use when working on a '60s Schwinn bicycle 2-speed bendix hub.
schwinnbendix.jpg

- for drilling to remove broken studs with extractor

Cooltool.pic1sm.jpg

...drill through screw with 7/64" bit

Cooltool.pic2sm.jpg

...Drill the nylon end of the nylock nut with a 0.310" drill about 0.15" deep, the base diameter of a broken 8mm stud.

Cooltool.pic3sm.jpg

...now you can drill a straight hole into the stud using this as a guide

- i use this to hold the 17mm allen head bolt inside the fork slider so i can release the fork tube...each end has 2 x 17mm nuts tightened (with locktite) against each other...i have it this long so i can do it in the bike - taken out and compressed 40cm is all you need ...i keep meaning to weld a short cross piece on one end to hold/twist it with

PA220025.jpg

- a short length of threaded rod, 2 nuts, a collection of large washers and the 2 old internal bearing races to pack the new bottom bearing race as it slides inside the stem

PA220018.jpg

PA220021.jpg

I've done something similar with the races. Did you grind just a little off the circumference of the old races to they come out easier after they've pushed the new race into place?

- no i used the races just as they were, the tube bottom flares out just enough to allow clearance...

These are my tools.

Attachments

• 100_3555.jpg
    100_3555.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,704
  • 100_3539.jpg
    100_3539.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1,757
  • 100_3554.jpg
    100_3554.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,874
Last edited:
It's like the Where's Waldo of homemade tools.

Ok, so I see the homemade roller.. That's pretty cool.

And the scissor lift with the plates on the top and bottom. Great idea.

Anything else in these pictures that I missed?

sorry been in the bar,we made the table lift from a pallet lift that lifted pallets of paint will lift 5000lb,and the vise on the table for the front tire,

That's cool. I didn't even notice that the table wasn't meant for bikes. At first glance I just though it was a heavy duty handy lift.

I make lots of little "helpers". I have a small stick welder and scrounge scrap metal from the various construction sites I'm working at. It's amazing the good stuff that gets thrown out. Here's a link to a few tools .....

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze83kbx/id2.html

This past summer I whipped up a combination wheel work table and base for my Harbor Freight motorcycle tire changer. It works great. Here's some info .....

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=ToolPics&action=display&thread=8163

Back