TT pipes

Dogger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone here has run TT pipes. I have MikesXS 1 3/4" stainless pipes with taper tips on them. It's incredibly loud and I'm not that fond of how they look. I was thinking about dropping the mufflers and using baffles from JC Whitney that are inserted in the pipe. Would even like TT pipes better. Just want to be a little quieter. Any suggestions?

Make your own baffles it's going to be a lot better.I've put those baffles in pipes and wound up with bkies that sounded like s##t .If you make your own and don't like them you can just toss them and try a different design untill you get the sound you want.

You may want to try the old washer(lolli pop/snuff-r-nots) trick. It may be just enough to take the edge off the noise...And its cheap :thumbsup:

My apologies for not posting an intro...I figured no one cares and it would just clog up this board...If I am wrong, let me know...I use the same username at 650rider(RIP) and XS650garage FWIW...

Last edited:
Thanks,
I've heard of the snuffrnots before. Something about attaching a washer on a rod that goes through the pipe. Then you rotate it to get the desired sound?
I love the look of open pipes, and I've had problems with the mounting brackets on mufflers cracking (someone told me these bikes shake a little, haha), I just don't want quite so much noise.

I made some washers for on of my evo's with 1/4-20 bolt and a washer welded to the head, then I could turn, tune and tighten.

Hi Dogger, If you have the taper tip mufflers on there now and it's too loud then you won't be happy with any slide in baffles or home made fix. To quiet it up more then those taper tip mufflers you would need a muffler that you can't see strait thru. I have used strait thru glasspacks and they sound nice and deep but after a while of use they can get just as loud as a taper tip. Sorry not much help but if you want quiet, real mufflers are (almost) the only way. p.s. OK I said almost? Just for fun I will tell you the "almost" part :D Sound comming from two points at the same frequency if facing each other will cancel each other out. So if you had the pipes bent at a 90 so they faced each other it would get quieter. This works because it puts the sound 180deg out of phase. I was in the audio business for 15 yrs :wink2:

Thanks, for the input. I think I have a new idea now. I would like to try a set of cocktail shaker mufflers. Any one know of a quality source? I figure this is going to be a hit and miss experiment till I find what I want! So far the taper tips aren't doing it for me. Plus they look way to much like something from a HD.

Hoos Racing has 1-3/4" pipe sets in plain steel or stainless in 3 patterns including TT pipes, for a very reasonable price: www.hoosracing.com . They'll work best with EPO and TPO inserts from 650 Central.

Back