Hidden wiring tips and tricks?

pristic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

Holy hell! How do you run wiring through Keystone 7/8 bars!
Anyone done it? Just patience and wiggling or what. I want to (have to here) run a blinker switch but hate hate hate wires. In fact I even hate the throttle, clutch and speedo cables. Brake lines too hahaaha. One day ill come up with some invention to have a bike with NO visible wires/cables.
But until then... How the heck did you do it?
It's a small hole on left hand for wires to go in.
Small hole near centre of the bars to come out and down to electrics tube. Getting past the "corner" in the keystones is a nightmare.

Any tips on getting your wires through?

Same really applies for the rest of the frame (eg hardtail) which is next to get hidden.
Originally said I won't hide it but this bike only has like 4 wires on it now :) ok a few more but VERY minimal.

Posted via Mobile

are you just trying to shove the wires thru>?
If I were to try this, I would take cotton string, and use compressed air to blow the string thru, then tie the string to your wires, and pull back thru. maybe try a lubricant? wd-40?
Another thing u can try is buy three conductor cord at the hard ware store that is used for power tools. Puts 3 wires together in a nice compact cable.
I did my whole bike with this stuff. Good size wire, and rated for at least 110 volts , so, Im pretty sure 12v will be fine.

Thanks guys. I'm liking the compressed air idea! Cables are nice and flexible. What happens is in keystones they curve up then have a corner 110deg maybe then down and another 90deg corner. It's the first sharp corner that I can't get around. The wire goes in fine the everytime finds that really sharp corner and rolls up into it.
A draw wire (string or good fishing line) and me trusty massive petrol compressor should work. Didn't even think of that so thanks!!
Yes it's only wire. No cables like clutch etc. I just want a tiny blinker switch is all. Really small on/off/on switch but the wire hidden.

Will post pics when it's done.

Cheers,
Peter

Posted via Mobile

If you're having trouble pulling the cable around 90's, you can take electrical tape and wrap the pull string down to the wire in a taper so that you don't have a bunched up section that will catch.

route2.jpg

Hope this gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Don't forget to give yourself a "courtesy tail" (that's where you fold the end piece of tape over and it sticks to itself) so that it's easier to pull the tape off after the pull

also pull an additional string if you have multiple pulls to do!

Back