To keep the fenders or not?

socxs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to get a few opinions on what people think about getting rid of the fenders for a cafe build? Or whether I should just get rid of the rear and keep the from fender and maybe make it smaller? I am asking for the possibility of downsides to doing these things also.

Thanks ahead,
:laugh::D:)

Are you going to ride the bike, or just look at it? How far will you get from your garage? If you're going to ride it, you'll want enough fender on there to protect you and the bike from rain, etc.

Fenders also reduce the amount of dirt, grit, road debris that get tossed at the engine, rider air filter etc. Probably none of that stuff in Texas.....

As far as handling goes I don't think the rear has much effect. I know the front can.
On my 75 I put a later 35 mm fork on. It didn't have the mount bosses on the fork lower for the 75 style fender braces. I rode it with out the braces but the holes in the fender were not to good looking. I found a fende off an 80 something XS1100. It looked the same as my 81's front fender. The 650 fender has a heavy steel brace built into the fender, the 1100 fender did not. The bike handled very poorly with the xs1100 fender, THe extra bracing of the xs650 fender is needed.
You can use the stock fender, cut it down if you want or add a fork brace.
Just don't run without something.
Leo

On my bobber I'm running a fork brace, but no fender up front. Riding in the rain sucks, water shoots off the front tire right into my face.

Thank you XSLeo, that information is really great as I do plan on riding the bike and mostly using it for school. I will definitely look into taking it down a little in size, and as far as the rear fender goes I still have to look into modding the rear end for a different light and seat. Thank you all for the great info.

The stock 650 fenders work really work well in the rain. I won't leave home without them. Like grepper says if you want a face full of dirty water go fenderless. A cut down fender better than no fender. Not as good as uncut. Some states they are required to pass inspection. :thumbsup:

I'm doing the same with mine. I'm going to keep the front for the support but am going to get rid of the rear as soon as I figure out how I want to mount my brake light. I never want to ride on two wheels in the rain anyway!

If the back is bobbed or no fender, wear a good helmet. You're going to want it when a good sized sticky rock in a construction site sticks to the tire long enough to detatch on a tangent and pop you in the back of the head. They can fly off the front and bring blood from your shins too. Ask me how I know. If you happen to have found a corner of the world where there's no construction, sprinklers, dirt, or gravel it might work out I guess.

I'd advise keeping both fenders for the metroplex. I only have about 150,000 miles of commuting on bikes in Dallas/Ft. Worth to base my opinion on though. I could be wrong.

Sporty and wears fenders. It wears a slender fiberglass fender today. It has a potent 277.
11.jpg

Jetmarty that is SWEET! what all have you done to the 277? I have a 750 kit and a shell cam for one and am getting close to pulling the trigger on putting it in.

PS nice mount for the Fiams. Loud horns wake the clueless.

Gentlemen,

That bike belongs to Mike Davis. He is host of the XS650 Society Dogwood Rally in April. Here are a couple shots of it at the 2007 rally.

DSCN3525_zps9374d250.jpg

That is David Burgess of Hotwing Glass getting ready to try it out.

DSCN3551_zps2c63fe09.jpg

Another shot at the same rally.

Mike keeps improving on this bike and these photos are old. I once had a copy of his impressive dyno sheet, but I can't find any of that stuff. Anyway, it's a spunky little cafe style XS650 that isn't afraid of a bit of bad weather.

The rally is in April if someone want's to see it up close.
https://www.facebook.com/TheDogwoodRally?fref=ts

That red bike is sweet. Rain happens sometimes 150 miles from home. I have been there. You can run but you can't hide. I tried to out run that one. Ten miles up the road another one. :D Been there done that no front bobbed back. I think the water up the middle of your back worse. Just don't throw the fenders away yet. :thumbsup:

I've planned a trip months ahead of time and done the first 200 miles of it in a downpour, because you can't cancel some things.

Sporty and wears fenders. It wears a slender fiberglass fender today. It has a potent 277.
11.jpg

NICE!!! the viper fairing looks good . I bought one a while back and still have yet to install. I was wondering about painting it... Yours looks fantastic painted!! killer job. By the way.. fenders are great inventions!! i'll be shortening the rear fender on my bike, but i have another unmolested one if i hate it. I have gotten a bit of dirt stripe up the back of my jacket just from running around town on dewey mornings, and thats with a full stock fender in place.. cosmetics are cool,, but function is beauty.

Last edited:
Back