Speedometer and tachometer rebuild

72XS2

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anyone who can tell me if there is a place where they rebuild tach and speedometer for XS650?

The front glass is broken on my XS2 tachometer but except that, it is in good shape. I have another tach here but the little green lens (for neutral) is missing.

72xs2, Pete's example s a good referance point to start with. Any glass company can cut a piece for you reasonably, probably less than $10.

Finally, I decided to repair my tachometer. I send an email to http://www.joellevinecompany.com/. They restore tachometers and speedometers for motorcycles. I'm sure that they do a good job but for the price, I decided to try myself first. 75$ to repair my broken glass and 485$ to restore my tach and speedo completely. So, I listen to Gordon's advice and I bought a new piece of glass. 5$ and some elbow grease and it looks like new. But I didn't use shrink tubing, I reused the original metal ring.

IMG_2771.jpg

DUDE, Thats awesome!! They look real good,too. I can't tell, were you able to save the metal rings, or did you use the shrink wrap? Also, where did you get the green indicater lens?

DUDE, Thats awesome!! They look real good,too. I can't tell, were you able to save the metal rings, or did you use the shrink wrap? Also, where did you get the green indicater lens?

Thanks. Yes, I was able to save the metal ring. Just need to pry it slowly and take your time. I pried it in two steps to be sure to not break it. When I reinstalled it, I had to make sure to push on the tach body because there's two rubber gasket under it. If you don't, you will have little trouble reinstalling the metal ring. This tach already have a green lens in it. I have another complete tach but it miss the green lens.

I am have trouble with both the tach and speedo. The needles are very sluggish. Have cleanned and lubed the cables, no luck. I was hoping that ridind the bike for a few days would free them up... Still not seeing much improvement.

How does one take them appart? I tried and getting the top ring off does seem that easy!!!

Suggestions anyone!!

Look HERE for how to get the bezel off & a few ideas on how to replace it

That's a good link Backroader. It's easy to do, just need to take your time, especially if you want to reuse the metal ring. Don't try to pry it too fast or completely in one shot, this ring is easy to break. It may sound weird but I use a little 2" nail (the head of the nail) to start to pry the ring, easier than with a flat screwdriver. When I reinstalled the ring, I used a "C" clamp with a piece of wood to press on the guage (face down on my work bench) to compress it, not too much, just what it takes to compress the two rubber seals.

Here's some "drawings". Sorry, I'm very not good with it.

Guage1.jpg

Guage2.jpg

Thanks again for the feedback on the gauges...

It seems they are different than the gauges shown previously, no chrome ring to remove...I did take the unit out of chrome outer housing and pulled the neoprene gasket back far enough to inspect the rim holding the glass in place.

It does not turn, nor does it have any lip to pry on.....

Any suggestions.

I lubed the cables, and with the warmer temperatures of late the gauges do respond, however as if they were operating in extreme slow motion.... the speedo returns to 0 after I am stopped for about 10 to 15 seconds and it takes twice as long to get to 80kms ....maybe this bike really is that slow LOL.

The tach, actually goes up to about 4000 and returns to about 1500, again after a 20 or 30 second delay...
Any more suggestions....:banghead:

I may leave them alone and install a GPS, that way I know how fast I am travelling.:bike:

SDC10376.jpg

SDC10377.jpg

Any idea where to get a new rubber gasket isolator ring for the speedo?

When I took my gauge apart the replace the light bulbs, the rubber ring which isolates the instrument from the metal housing was all mush and it stretch se badly that I couldn't re-use it.

Back