clear coating polished aluminum

pa23driver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this has been answered before, and if it has please feel free to direct me to the appropriate thread, but i couldn't find anything searching on the forum or through google (except for product endorsements)

soon i'll be polishing up my engine covers and front forks - possibly mirror finish, but we'll see how much work i want to put into it.
I'm wondering what you guys have used to protect the finish.

tomorrow i'll be dropping my frame and various other parts off for powder coating, so i'll get a quote to see how much it would cost to clear coat the covers and forks.

But aside from powder coating, anyone try a spray can or epoxy method that has worked well?

Best thing for polished aluminum is to keep it polished. Not that hard once you get it where you want it. Clearcoat takes away the shine and dulls over time. It's for the factory.

+1 wax You aren't going to leave it under a tree in the back yard anymore, so wax is all it needs. Two years out on some polished aluminum on my 83 Heritage special and a quick rub with metal polish and it looks like the day I buffed it.

Yes, use the product I mentioned. The aluminum polish is just a very fine abrasive and not a sealer/protectant. Also, there are many many other products far better than mothers. Top Brite, Wenol to name a couple. Will make them look even better.

didn't realize clear coating aluminum was such a pain...

thanks for all the replies, think i'll skip the clear coating and give the zoopseal a try - thanks Ghetto

I tried the clear coat route when polishing some of my aluminum sleds I have built.....I eventually found that polishing and then protecting was the way to go...

I use "Rolite" aluminum polish, this is what those guys with the vintage warplanes use to polish their aluminum....this is a (3) step progressive polish that will get you black from all the shit flying around (power buffer is recommended) but the results are awesome....you follow it up with the protectant and it stays nice, just periodic cleaning.

Here is one of my sleds before and after polishing....Tom

DSC00579.jpg

20.jpg

Back