Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Updated: 2/13/24
XS650 Hardtail Kit (Universal kit)

chop_source_universal_chopper_hardtail_kit_1.125in.jpg

Hey guys! I’m now offering XS650 hardtail kits. Do we really need another choice in XS650 hardtails? Yes! These are do-it-yourself kits giving you more flexibility with the final look of your bike. The kits I'm offering are different from the others you may see out there in many ways. The "legs" on the main tubes are longer allowing many more possibilities in your frame design. You can create almost any drop and up to a 6" stretch (or more depending on your design). My kits use DOM tubing which is stronger and more uniform than ERW tubing (also twice as expensive). Google DOM vs ERW if you are not familiar with the differences. You can also choose from a variety of axle plate styles instead of being limited to one style. These kits are the best value out there.

I've found that a lot of people want to build their own hardtail and have the skills and a welder, but don't have a proper tubing bender. This kit takes care of that and will also save you time in finding DOM tubing and axle plates.

Kits are available with 1" DOM, 1-1/8" DOM, and 1-1/4" tubing. All sizes are 1020 mild steel with a .120" wall thickness. Most people use 1-1/8" tubing for XS650s.

The kits include 4 pieces of bent tubing, 3 cross tubes, 2 sleeves (slugs), and a set of 3/8" laser-cut axle plates.

There are many different combinations of axle plates to choose from. The axle plates come in three main styles: A, B, and C.
See: Chopper Axle Plates (Hardtail Axle Plates) for all of the available combinations and options for your axles plates.

axleplatestyles.jpg

Pricing:

1" hardtail kit with your choice of axle plates - $149.95

1-1/8" hardtail kit with your choice of axle plates - $159.95

1-1/4" hardtail kit with your choice of axle plates - $169.95

Shipping:
Shipping to the lower 48 states is now free! For other locations, go to https://www.chopsource.com/hardtail-kits.html and add what you want to the shopping cart. Click checkout then enter your country and postal code to display shipping options.

The usual disclaimers apply:
Use at your own risk. Buyer is responsible for knowing their local laws and regulations on the legality of using this product. Trav, LLC cannot be held liable for any damages, injury, or death from the use of this product.

Also, no instructions are included! If you need instructions, lack the necessary fabrication skills and tools, or are not a competent welder, you probably shouldn't be hardtailing your own frame. :D

Email me at sales@chopsource.com with any questions.

Thanks!! :bike:

To order, go to www.chopsource.com.

Last edited:
Gary just clued me into this tonight, I wish I'd seen this sooner...I just bought my David Bird hardtail for 3x's the cost of these. :(

Thank you! I figure I should get some use out of my fancy tube bender and maybe put a few dollars in my pocket at the same time. :thumbsup:

Travis.... are you going to be offering these for a while (within 2 months). I'm going to be tearing into my next build and will be looking for a universal kit

26 degrees for the 4 main bends. That's what I've calculated to work best for most uses. If you need anything different, I can do that too. Just let me know.

Last edited:
Any pics of these installed ? Also you had mentioned adding some mire info on the bent cross tube. Thanks

No, sorry. I've been extremely busy lately... I'll try to get something up about the cross tube soon.

^ Yes, they are too awesome I'm afraid. After sending a few of these out, I've realized that with the price of DOM tube and the time to make the kits, my prices are going to have to go up some. :( .... Otherwise my time is better spent on other things.

I guess we'll have to consider these introductory prices for the kits! The prices for the axle plates will stay the same.

Back