Cleaning the motor

dklassen

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Is there a good way or I should say product(s) to clean a motor without tearing it down? The side covers will be buffed out but I'm more interested in the best way to clean the case, head, fins, etc. The motor is on a stand.

D.

Any of the engine cleaners in the can work. the cheaper ones are just dyed diesel fuel. My side covers were so bad I sanded them 600 out to 1200 then buffed.

Anyone tried soda blasting? And what results? Ive got a handheld blaster that Id like to use, but don't want to rough up the cases anymore than I have to. Just looking for a new aluminum shine, not polished.

Funny you should bring that up, I was just sitting here surfing soda blasting info. Don't know much about it yet but it seems like it may be perfect for cleaning an assembled motor. It bet it would work great on the cylinder fins and the case. No worries about damaging the internals I suspect if you used reasonable care.

Found this.

http://www.rapiddog.net/BLOG/GSWHEELS.html

Nice link, I think I will give that soda blast a try. Just plug off my vent and intake and exhaust ports and let it rip. Oh and if you try it, make sure you either have the starter in or a block off plate installed. you don't want it full up in there! LOL I am getting mine tore apart after anyways, but wanna do it now while it still together.

Back