"Scrambler" Sidecar build

Furious D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After searching for nearly a year I found a decent XS to bolt my Velorex 562 sidecar to:

100_1255.JPG

Its an 81 Special, I was really wanting a standard but I think I can make this work. So far I have swapped the bars and seat and mocked up the MX bars and seat off my 73 Yamaha RT-360 enduro. Not so sure about the seat and the bars but it gives me a starting point.

Heres the sidecar when it was mounted to the recently departed GS-850:

DSC01507.JPG

I really want to keep this build within a budget of $1500 so I am going to try and recycle some parts I have up in the attic.

Turnsignals/Taillight of my Triumph. If I go this route it will sit another 3" higher on the fender:

100_1256.JPG

I need to figure out what to do with the master cylinder. Its way out of level with this style bars .

100_1257.JPG

Next week I hope to start mounting the car to the bike but it looks like my plan will need some modification with the stock exhaust. I intend to go with a high-pipe setup from GordonScott but I may have to wait a while until I pay off a few Christmas bills. :doh:

I dont think these are the bars I am going to use , I think a little wider flat trck bars will be better.

I 'll keep an eye out for another MC. Is the F4i a direct bolt on? Same line sizes?

I'm putting that one on a cx500 cafe I'm building for a friend but it has the same size line and the bore size good

A little progress today:

DSCF0261.JPG

The exhaust is going to have to go if I want to use the subframe I drew up, I really want to buy a set of Gordons high pipes anyway. The geometry is pretty close

DSCF0263.JPG

Sidecar mounts are pretty much done. Mounted my $15 solo seat off a 69 Yamaha AT-1. Changed the bars to a set of Triumph Scrambler ones but I still might look for something wider.

100_1305.JPG

I dont know if I am going to use the Scrambler taillight, It looks a little large.. Might cut a few inches off the fender too. I'll probably seperate the car and bike for the last time tonight and do a little brake and suspension work but its 50F here today so I'm going out riding.

I might be doing a sidecar on a 650 for a guy this summer. Can you show some details of the mounts? And did you use a subframe?

Furious D,
Could you post some close-ups of how/where you've mounted to the bike frame? I'm still in the planning stage of my XS/Velorex build(been there a long time!). Really been leaning towards a sub-frame, primarily from the final tuning/adjusting aspect. Afraid I'll get it hung then get it all out of whack when I go to fine tune it. Also, love that seat! Any more pics of it? Thanks.

I removed the car last night to do some maintenance on the bike but I will take some pics when its back together of the mounts. As I posted earlier I intend to build a subframe in the future but I want to change exhaust first.

The seat is just a Yamaha AT-1 one. I have a 73 RT-3 and thought its seat was about the perfect size. About any pre-77 enduro seat will be close. I was able to use the original front latch of the 81 seat pan but I need to figure out the back mount yet.

Heres a few pics of the mounts:

100_1313.JPG

Fabbed the lower rear out of a industrial I-bolt and attached it to where the center stand bolted to. Yep, I need a rear tire but I'm having a hard time finding a dual-sport tire in 130/90 16"

100_1300.JPG

Still having some clearance issues with the lower front mount when the exhaust is bolted on.

..... that's where a subframe might help you. It might also allow you to mount the car lower. Years ago I had this same Velorex mounted on first a /5 BMW, then a /2 model. The car worked and rode much better on the /2, partly because it mounted up lower. This is a light car and can be very prone to lifting in right hand turns. With the /5, I carried a plastic 5 gallon gas can filled with sand as "ballast" when driving with no one in the car. On the /2, I didn't need that any more.

In the long run I want to make the car and the bike a little higher. I had the start of a subframe mocked up but it would have been too low with the factory exhaust in place.

I ran a deep-cycle marine battery in the last setup behind the seat that weighed around 60 Lbs. Next time I remove the tub from the frame I also have a steel plate that weighs around 30Lbs that I will mount to the chassis . But before that happens the frame and suspension will be strengthed as well as a heavier wheel, The Velorex one is pretty light duty.

I have not had much time to work on the bike lately but I am back on it:

DSCF0292.JPG

Added a set of Scrambler shocks I found cheap and a new tire. The shocks look like they will work nicely with a height of 14". Tires a Trailwing in 120/90/16 which I found was the factory one for a Honda NX-250. I lucked out and found it from bikebandit on clearance for less than $60 shipped to me.

I'm waiting on a few parts from Mikes then a little wiring and it should be ready for a ride. I will probably ride it solo for a couple weeks then bolt the car to it. Still need to decide on exhaust high-pipes or down low but I'm sure I want it exit on the left side to eliminate any clearance problems with the car mount.

First test drive , I didnt go to far because I dont have a the taillight wired up yet.

DSCF0339.JPG

Still a lot of little things to do and the cars alignment needs a little tweaking.

Its pretty much back together and I have taken it for a few short test rides. I am surprised its pretty peppy , I thought I would have to change sprockets before using it but I have not hauled a passenger yet.

100_0361.JPG

I still have a little work to do like finishing the side covers and a little wiring for the sidecar. I gave up tonight on trying to get the fork gaitor to slip on.

Finally this thing is what I would call roadworthy. I have put around 600 miles on it so far and have most of the bugs worked out of it. It handles pretty well, I just got back from a 40 mile dirt and gravel road ride and I was pleased with they way it handles in the loose stuff. I wish I had rode the bike in this configuration before I bolted the car to it. I bet it would be fun off road, Maybe I will remove the sidecar and take it for a trail ride in the fall.

100_1341.JPG

For now I am just going to ride it . In the off season I want to change the exhaust and I need to come up with a funky paint scheme.

Back