77 back on road after sitting 2 1/2 years

Mackels

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my 77 since 2001. Rode it for about 2 years. Had the tank and carbs cleaned. Performance was much better after that. Got in an accident on labor day 2007. My tire went through the guys rear driver side door as I hopped off the bike and landed on my feet. Bike was fine aside from what happens when you lay one down. I was only going about 5 or 10 when I hit him. Took it out a few more times after that, but shortly after, put it away in my dads shed for the winter. Next summer we had child #2 and didn't ride at all. Started it a couple times, but it ran rough. Same for the following year. So, this year I decided I'd get her goin again. I figured, my tank would be rusted and the petcock filter would be clogged. I also thought the carbs would be gummed and the float bowls would be the same. So, I took off the fuel line and drained it on both sides. emptied the float bowls as well and was very surprised as to how clean they were. Put new gas in the tank, and it started after 3 kicks. My dad was helping and we tried to change the mixture to run a bit leaner, because the plugs were carbon fouled. I took it out yesterday, and the issue I was having was that the rpms would stay where they were from the previous gear. Only when I slowed the engine down would they go back to normal. I idle about 1100 rpms. What would cause the sticking? It isn't the throttle cable, because that would return on its own. Any ideas are welcomed.

reset the mixture screw on both carbs. my book doesn't cover the xs650d, so I went with 1 1/4 turns, but had to adjust the right side differently to get the bike to idle nicely. Not sure where I ended up there.

Back