November "Specials"only Stock and resto mod Contest

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Nominations are open to XS650 Specials, Special IIs, and Heritage Specials, 1978 through 1983 They can be stone stock or with some mods but must have a stock "Special" tank, forks and a twin shock rear suspension, it should be readily identifiable as a Special.

Here's how it works:
First, someone "nominates" a bike they'd like to see in this month's competition (post a picture too), next, someone else "seconds" the nomination, when the bike owner accepts, the bike is in the competition.
First 5 bikes nominated, seconded, and accepted will be entered in the contest/poll.

You're encouraged to post a picture of your bike and some background in this thread for someone to else to nominate.

Coming in December; an XS of the year contest from the 10 monthly winners this year. (we combined Sept, Oct into one contest)

Me? I don't have any restored Specials in my stable. Kinda kick myself for letting go of the 83 Heritage but I checked with the new owner and all is well. In previous contests the Special "caretakers" felt they were unable to compete with the standard 'snobs" LOL and wanted a contest where the specials could shine, so here it is.

gggGary can you
(1) unsticky Oct so Nov shows on top.
I know it is only 4 lines down but my simple self expected the latest to be on top?
(2) no mention of the amount of nominations per member only seconds?

Two posts so my nomination doesn't get lost. (I'll only be making one nomination)
Retiredgentleman you and your 78 SE are up.
It has remained mostly stock, you ride it, and you keep it shiny shiny!
An excellent example of the stock Special from the day.
Hope you win!

Attachments

• retiredgentlemans 78.jpg
    retiredgentlemans 78.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
Me? I don't have any restored Specials in my stable. Kinda kick myself for letting go of the 83 Heritage but I checked with the new owner and all is well. In previous contests the Special "caretakers" felt they were unable to compete with the standard 'snobs" LOL and wanted a contest where the specials could shine, so here it is.
I am not a snob ! I do prefer standards, but I think you can make a decent bike from a '78-80 special . After that they got real ugly in my opinion.

Two posts so my nomination doesn't get lost. (I'll only be making one nomination)
Retiredgentleman you and your 78 SE are up.
It has remained mostly stock, you ride it, and you keep it shiny shiny!
An excellent example of the stock Special from the day.
Hope you win!

Excellent choice....I second Retiredgentlemans ride.

Thank you weekendrider for the nomination. Also thanks to uebe and scrambled for seconding my bike. I had it professionally repainted last year, as I never did care for the the red colour (rattle can) the PO had used. I had never posted an album, but you lads have embarassed me into posting an album to-day.

I bought the bike locally here in Calgary, and have driven it for 6 years now. When I got it, it would barely run and was using a ton of oil. With some minor maintenance, I drove it that way for one season. Head gasket was passing oil real bad, so a top-end re-build was done.

Over the years I have bought quite a few parts from Mikesxs and 650Central. I like to keep to the stock look of the bike as much as possible. However, I'm also big on safety and reliability. A modern ignition coil, a Pamco, new solid state regulator, and a new modern rectifier have been very worthwhile additions.

I was really happy to find a pristine OEM exhaust last year, as the original on the bike was beaten up rather badly.

As part of my safety way of thinking, I recently added the Brembo calipers front and rear. Those Italians know a few things about brakes.

A fun bike to ride and very easy to work on...............a real enjoyable hobby/sport.

IMG_6223 R1.JPG

Ha, yes I had to go to your old 650rider album for the picture.
I thought the red looked professional. What is the new color? I look and think black, no a dark green, no black, no..........
You've kept it "show room new" for sure.

I nominate sseres... 1980 special, most likely the best engine thread i have read for rebuilding... Sorry no pics but he reqlly does have a unique special that looks like a special, but a reqlly badass one, and i hate specials!

Thanks, guys. I won't get my hopes up this time, though :laugh:

here she is: 1980 special, stocked out except HHB clutch and LED turnsignals and brake lights. All of 14,000 on it with the new engine in service now for the past 100 miles.

full

full

full

full

Is it getting hot in here or is it just sseres bike?

The best pic I could find of weekendrider's bike

full

I bet there is a better one somewhere.....:wink2:

Uh Oops it's not a special, darn it!

Back