Replacing a broken spoke

Speedthriller

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been riding today, came back home and noticed that one of my spokes in my rear wheel was broken. :mad: It's broken at the side of the drum brake. My question is, do I have to remove the tyre when I want to put a new one in.

inner or outer spoke? outers can be changed without to much trauma, yes you need to dismount tire to push spoke nipple up to get the nipple on to a new spoke, inner spoke you will need to un-lace more spokes to get a new spoke in then re-lace the wheel

Thanks for your answer, jayel! Its an inner spoke. I was hoping for a quick fix, but I guess it isn't... I haven't got any experience with spoked wheels. (other than my bicycle...) I think I will bring my wheel to a mechanic and watch him do it so I can fix it the next time myself.

I must ask,
Why did it break? Some mysteries are unsolvable, but there is a reason it broke whether you find out or not. Don't take this litely. Make sure your spokes are in the right holes, and not bending over on the hub.

Angus made a very important point, why? Not well known, but years ago, many custom chromed spokes would 'snap'. Later, it was found to be caused by "hydrogen embrittlement", because of the hydrogen gas used in chrome tanks to reduce biased flashing. The proper fix was to bake the spokes in the oven, about 300°f for a couple hours, drive the hydrogen out...

:agree: I guess its always important to know why something brakes, isn't it. (I am a mechanic by trade) But in this case I really don't know why. Everything looks allright. I think I just have to wait and see if the other spokes hold.

If you can, microscope-view the spoke 'break' area. Fine grainyness was the sign of this embrittlement. Could also ask spoke supplier if they post-treat spokes?

That's a good one! I will do that! I have bought my bike completely rebuilt, so I don't know who has re-spoked the wheels.

Attachments

• Foto's-0011.jpg
    Foto's-0011.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 175
Wow, nice bike!

It's been a very long time since I've laced-up a wheel, but, to me, the spoke angles look too aggressive on that rear wheel, almost like the lacer used too-long spokes, and skipped to the next hole.

Any spoke lacers wanna comment on this?

Is the broken spoke in the top of the wheel in the pic? The angle looks O.K. I think the broken spoke is throwing you off, TwoManyXS1B's. I take it it is a 18 inch wheel? I don't think it is possible to spoke a wheel incorrect and actually get it trued and rolling. Either the spokes are correct or their not. You'll know if they are wrong.

Hey hard_y_rod, yeah, I looked closely at the top and thought 'that must be the broken spoke'. Then looked closer, no, that's not broke, just the angle of the pic, with spokes in backround. Then looked at spread angle, and didn't look right. So asking others to look as well...

I look at gggGary's wheel, looks ok. Then compare pattern at bottom of the left wheel, and they match!
Guess that IS the broken spoke on top. That plus the european sunlight really threw me...

My bike is from 1975. I don't think all the parts are original. Engine and frame number don't match. It started its life as a police bike. (In Iran :D )
I've got another picture, a bit dark, of my wheel. It is 18 inch.

Attachments

• broken spoke.jpg
    broken spoke.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 176
Back