Rat bike change #?

As she sits this evening, think I'm done foolin' around with her for now.

dustoff001.jpg

I like the relocated ignition switch.

Is that a bitch to get up on the center stand?

Yes, it's a bitch but I make it look easy, HA!
It's the lowered shocks that have made it tougher to put up- however, a 1 inch board or a flat rock under the rear tire and it's a breeze.

Ever thought of shortening the center stand an inch so you don't have to mess with the board?

Well, the gremlins knocked me bike over while my back was turned. No major damage but the standard tank need to be redone paint wise, so the xs special goes back on for now. Changed out the rims.
Been running the 17/30 sprockets, had to up the rear to 32 during the change out and it was horrid. So now I've a new chain, 18/32 sprocket set up, and life is goood again.
Found myself, a couple of times, running the flats along the river-55/60 mph @ close to 4 grand on the tach and then realizing " Hell, I'm in 4th gear."
Gotta love it.
gremlins001.jpg

Stock headers with the improved emgos, kinda like the sweep of the c's....a little more restrictive than the 1.5" Macs- though @ 8-1 compression and the 18/32 gears I'm way ahead of the stock game :laugh:
stockheadersemgos001.jpg

Plus it allows me to make rear wheel adjustments without having to remove the muffs :wink2:

Last edited:
Took a trip east to South Jersey, ancestral grounds. While there my cycle mentor bestowed upon me a nice set of exhaust.
8-19-10004.jpg

I think I'll unload some of these other exhaust sets that I've been running.
Also while there, an old friend came up with some fiberglass, resin and hardener. I'm going to build a low profile seat. Should be interesting.

I did the same 3 hole mod to my vstar 650 and it now makes a very pleasing sound. Not a harley but at a 1/4 of the price it sounds like music

Took the seat and reworked it- fabbing a fiberglass seat pan. Ground off all protuberances from the rail 'cept for the helmet lock, just trimmed the upper end of that off. Used the rail as my guide for the glass application. I put some clear plastic wrap down overall and then applied the glass. Note- the resin will fek the rail paint up even with the wrap down.
seat002.jpg

It's been quite a long time since I've worked with glass and I now remember why I hate it, though I do like the finished product. I'm using the front fork from the original Special seat and I have a belt/passenger strap holding it all down. Having built it around the rails, gravity alone would hold it in place but this is utilizing the helmet lock too. Other side of the strap is riveted to the left rear shock gussett.
seat001.jpg

I still want to do a long low profile seat but this was easy to convert, and having the bike down for a day and a half with this weather and the way she's running these days( wonderfull!!!!) is too much

xs750 36mm forks to raise the front about an inch + , lucas style tail light and a lowered profile seat. I like the slammed rear look and the slightly raised front, takes me back to my heyday of semi customs back in the late '60,s, early '70's. Ride what you like, like what you ride.
I need to change that front tire out today.

Loweredseat002.jpg

Basic Black. Threw the '82 H.S. fenders on....stock painted. I'll try them on for a while and see how they feel.
April21004.jpg

The Lucas style tail light lines up almost perfectly with the stock mounting holes that the H.S's have for the license lamp....just needed to open the holes up a little to fit and then drill a place for the tail lamps upper mounting bolt.
April21005.jpg

Lowered the gauges and bucket, thanks shotgunjoe for the inspiration. It lines with the tank a bit better.
loweredbucket001.jpg

loweredbucket003.jpg

I'll fab a bucket support/adjust for it later...should be simple enough as the 750 trees are a little different than the 650's
loweredbucket004.jpg

Back