valve clearance

BklynMatt

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 650 H, this I have determined by my vin #, What isn't clear is the Table to use regarding VALVE CLEARANCE SPECS. I am running at 3000 RPMs & the bike is backfiring through the carbs
I used .06mm for intake & .015 for exhaust
the table specifies for xs-1 xs-2 etc I couldn't find the correlation between these ID's & xs650h
I'm sure my set up is incorrect
Can anyone give any help with either the engine or the specs?
Thank You in advance
Matt

I have an 81 650 H, this I have determined by my vin #, What isn't clear is the Table to use regarding VALVE CLEARANCE SPECS. I am running at 3000 RPMs & the bike is backfiring through the carbs
I used .06mm for intake & .015 for exhaust
the table specifies for xs-1 xs-2 etc I couldn't find the correlation between these ID's & xs650h
I'm sure my set up is incorrect
Can anyone give any help with either the engine or the specs?
Thank You in advance
Matt
I have an 81'. .004 in. .006 ex. per yamaha mechanic wha hasn't steered me wrong yet. Clymer had wrong specs. .0025in. .006 ex. Mine runs good at the .004 and .006

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390

- now set the tappets, remove covers, rotate crank feeling for the top of the compression stroke, where both tappets are loose on the cam

- set tappets - model...inlet...exhaust

...XS1-B.....0.003"(0.076mm)...0.006"(0.15mm)

...XS2-650..0.006"(0.15mm)....0.012"(0.30mm)

...XSB........0.0024"(0.06mm)...0.004"(0.10mm)

...XSC-on...0.0024"(0.06mm)...0.006"(0.15mm)

- rotate for the compression stroke on the other side and set those tappets too

kmb81xs650sh,
I thought this is what I remembered. 4&6 were the magic numbers. I have Yamaha's service manuals for '79, 82, and 83. The '79 lists the gaps at .0039 and .0059. The '82 and '83 (like the supplement online) list .0025 and .0006.
So Clymer, Haynes et al. just copied the service manual?
Personally 4 & 6 work on the '83.

mine wanted to kick back at me, and spit thru the carbs at 6 and 15. went to 4 and six, much better. dosnt spit back, but it still kicks back.

I was wandering if someone could help me. My bike just recently started to die after it gets to running for a while. every time I get on it, it manages to die after about 2 to 3 miles. I changed out the ignition coil, spark plugs and wires. it needed it anyway. it still dies after so long. Could it be a valve clearance issue? I do have a manuel and I did check the valve clearance when I changed the oil, but this is also the first time i have ever checked valves. When it dies it acts like its just not getting anything at all. When it is running it also seems to be trying harder than it used to. Can anybody help?

- what model do you have ? modifications ? points-TCI ?
- if you have in line fuel filters is there fuel in them ?
- when the bike stops try opening the gas tank - anything happen ? ...
- how hard is it to get going again ?
- spark ? when you changed the coil what did you use- new ? used ? i assume dual coil

Its an 82 xs650 special. This is my first bike that I have ever worked on, bought for that reason to learn. Since there is nothing behind the side plates on the top of the motor as far as ignition goes, I am guessing it has a TCI. Like I said this is the first time I have ever worked on a bike, still learning. Never thought about checking the gas tank. I read somewhere a while back that the vent hole could be plugged up causing a vacuum in the tank. Is that what your refering to "inxs"? I usually have to let it sit for about 30 to 45 minutes, then it starts right up. The last time it did it, before I changed the ignition coil out, I was on my way home and it died. while I was coasting it down the road at about 15 mph, I dumped the clutch and forced it to roll over and started right up. As far as the last question, it is a new single coil. It started to feel like it was working harder and feeling different as soon as I changed the oil and checked the valve clearance. I will check on the tank and fuel lines next. I am guessing I will probably have to take it somewhere to get it looked at before I destroy the thing. Got to learn somehow though.

Also forgot to mention that I checked the plugs after it died and the left side seemed fine but the right side was solid black.

Back