whats out there for xs sidecar pics?

royfisk

build and rebuild get bet
Reaction score
I am interested in seeing what various sidecars look like on xs 650 bikes. If you have pics post them. reason being is Im in the market for a hack and really want one that looks like a sprintcar body. Any leads on a body or car in new england would be nice also.

Hi Roy,

Here are a couple of shots of my rig. Pretty primitive, but she get's me home---mostly. :bike:

As I've mentioned in talking with you, I have a 1965 Spirit of America Sport sidecar laced to a 1977 "D". Maybe not ideal, but it works for me. I got the bike second hand in February of 1978, and the chair a few years ago for $1000.00.

Loads of fun!!

Attachments

• Jaelith at St. Helen's.jpg
    Jaelith at St. Helen's.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 556
  • St. Helen's trip #2.jpg
    St. Helen's trip #2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,264
- also kalich flexi although its not a 'real' sidecar

- the XS sidecar faction here recommend:
sidecar weight 60-70kg​
15in wheels and auto tyres​
swingarm-forks​
extended swingarm​
upgraded brakes all round-incl on the sidecar​
min tracking width of 115-125cm​
upgraded suspension all round​
1 piece clutch pushrods, stronger pressure plate springs, heavyduty plates, heavier dampening springs​
more are installing hydraulic operated clutches​
for serious riding-longstroke motors​
these are reknown for busting spokes-so go heavy duty and check regularly​
if keeping wire spoke wheels RD rear hubs are recommended too-they have damping blocks in them that relieve the clutch dampening springs and retain the XS brake parts...RD250 from 76 also have a disc brake spoked hub option​

- they also remind newbs that
theyre slower​
more effort to ride​
overtaking is not so easy​
cagers still see you as a motorcycle​
patience is definitely a virtue​
once you get a feel for it curve riding is great fun-RH curves are not the great problem many think, yes the wheel lifts but to tip a sidecar takes quite an effort,...,more of a problem are LH curves where the bike has a desire to tip over the sidecar-here the position of the sidecar wheel relative to the rear wheel is important-triangulation​

- there are
no seatbelts​
no airbags​
no crush zone​
bad brakes​

- these 2 books are available here, i dont know if there are english versions, however there must be a wealth of british info available as sidecars were quite common in england

- "Motorrad-Gespanne", Bernhard Götz Verlag, (9,- euro) ISBN ?

- "Das neuen Handbuch für Gespannfahrer", Bernhard Götz Verlag, (14,80 euro ) ISBN 3-9802242-1-X

Last edited:
- thanx for the reminder, id forgotten about those pages...this land is my neighbour and i have to say i kind of envy them their relaxed vehicle testing laws - allows them to do a lot of things not permitted here

here's my rig, 1970's Thompson Cyclecar on a 71 Honda CB450, it is to light a rig for the 650 all it wanted to do was fly:laugh: guess it would have saved on tire wear

Attachments

• S6300123.JPG
    S6300123.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 533
This is good stuff jayel didnt know you had a rig. I have spent the last 2 hrs lerking the world wide web for even just a body. Really got that sprintcar body look in my head. Not to mention this is the 5th week in a roll I have waited for someone to pick up a fzr 1000 engine and been a no show. 5 diferant people. Guess fzr riders are dead beats. Think I will have a hammer day and destroy this engine and chasis while filming it and play it on you tube, just a old fasion harley rider style destroy the jap bike thing on a fzr 1000. That will be worth the 250 bucks I want for the engine right? Bet that will get them going seeing that the bikes are known for looseing crankshafts. Anyhow I am watching this and enjoy the pics. If anyone knows where there is a period correct sprintcar style hack in the new england area let me know.

Hey Roy, Why don't we just build it? We can make it from scatch any way you like! You have any pictures of this "sprint" style you're looking for? p.s. gotta post a pic of mine since this is a sidecar thread :bike:

here's my rig, 1970's Thompson Cyclecar on a 71 Honda CB450, it is to light a rig for the 650 all it wanted to do was fly:laugh: guess it would have saved on tire wear
Hey Jayel, That does look light and easy to fly :bike: did you build the frame on that or is that stock?

stock as far as I know, had my first sidecar back in 69 58 H-D FLH with H-D sidecar and then several others over the years, need one for those times in mid winter when you just have to ride and the sand, salt, ice, snow gremlins are still lucking on the corners, moved one time with everything I owned in and on that old FLH rig including a Bridgestone 90 attached to the sidecar frame (took the front wheel off, hooked the front fork to the frame between the bike and sidecar body) about a 100 mile trip, hey it worked

- somewhere in one of the above links i saw a great dodgem side car...all i can find now is this
botsauto.jpg

- i also found this...the purple helmets...isle of man...have actually seen their show, its quite funny
sc_piano2_m.jpg

- there are always these
633949591220319741.jpg

Back