Where do I put the cam bearings?

Hardfahrer

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put the head back on my xs650 after having the head rebuilt. Whilst putting on the cam endcaps I noticed that they wont mate flat against the head. I'm assuming that the bearings are stopping the caps from sitting flush. I set the bearings flush with the inside wall of the head which I thought would allow the cam to float a little just in-case I didn't have it aligned perfectly above the crank gear.
What do I do as far as the bearings are concerned? Do I slam them right up against the cam? Or, is there something else I'm missing?
This will be the second time I have to take the head off as I put the cam in backwards the first time. Ha. Come on, you've been there.
Thanks

You have to have the bearings pushed as far inward as they will go. As you just found out, there is barely enough room for the end covers/oilseal to fit. You should measure carefully in order to have an equal amount of the camshaft protruding,at each end.

I have heard that some guys have loosened the head dome nuts, and used a socket against the bearings to tap them inward. It might be worth a try...............no guarantees.

Once the bearings are in all the way to the stops, you'll notice that the outer races of the outer bearings are inset from the edges of the journals. When the spacing on both sides is equal, the camshaft is centered.

When you were assembling the engine, did you follow the steps in your repair manual? Most of the ones I have read explain just how to install the cam and bearings.
Leo

My manual says to install in reverse order. Not very specific.

Thanks for the help guys. It worked loosening the head bolts and tapping them in with a modified wooden dowl.

Now to my next problem, why won't the engine crank.

Once the bearings are in all the way to the stops, you'll notice that the outer races of the outer bearings are inset from the edges of the journals. When the spacing on both sides is equal, the camshaft is centered.

I used this method to install my cam yesterday and I understand how the camshaft is centered but the cam sprocket didn't wind up centered in it's space and the chain wasn't centered on the front guide. I had to tap it a little to make the sprocket centered to where it is suppose to be.

Crank or start. To me crank just means turn over. Start means turn over but not start. Be more specific.
Do you have spark at the plugs?
Do you have gas in the tank? Is gas getting to the carbs?
Are the carbs clean and set to spec?
Leo

I have heard many people suggesting reading and studying the repair manual. I am sure this is very important but I think videoing the procedure might be very helpful as the dissambly process is key. As was just noted, most repair manual when it comes time to reassemble states "assemble in reverse order" or something to that effect. Many times it is days or weeks before reassembly and thing can get clouded. I think there is a video here on this site Carbon did showing the allignment of these bearings.
jefft

Angus I was responing to Hardfahrer. He got his cam centered and it still won't "crank" I was asking for clarification on that. And suggesting a few possibilities.
jefft, a video set that covered all the Factory manuals covered would be great. Step by step disassembly and reassembly.
That would cost more than the bikes.
There are a few threads on here and other forums that describe the assembly of the engine, some with very detailed pics.
There may even be video clips out there some where.
Leo

Back