Points, Condenser

STVR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

So I have a 75 xs 650, and a few weeks ago it was running horribly before then it ran great. So after cleaning the points re gapping and resetting the timing it ran better then I came back and it wouldn't start. I also had discovered right cylinder was warm not hot, weak or no spark. Changed the plugs still the same thing. So I had rigged a light bulb on some wire with alligator clips to test the points. Left side good right side dead. So I took out the old ohms meter checked both spark plug caps good charge both sides, checked the spark on plugs right side no spark. So then I started checking the current on the points again and the right side was still dead no current, coils seems to be good although my manual told me not to check anything and just to get new ones or take it to someone who knows what the hell they are doing. I'm assuming that I have a bad condenser. I also opened the points by hand with the key on a little spark on the left side nothing on the right side.After that I kicked it over and it wanted to start. Bad condenser?

Steve

swap condenser leads and see if the problem moves to the opposite cylinder.
I'm switching to an electric ignition system on my 77650. I see it says remove the condenser. But seeing where it is and me not having the time. Do I have to remove it? or can I just simply disconnect it?

You can just disconnect it and leave it in place. Up side to this is if the electronic ignition ever fails and you have to revert back to the points, the condenser will already be there for you.

It may be a condenser, but it sounds like the points for the right side are shot. I would try new points first before I would try the condensers.
Change both sets of points. That way you know they are both good.
Leo

Back