New air compressor?

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a small shop in my garage and I need to buy a new compressor. I had a 35 gallon HF and it ate shit on me. I was going to buy one of those 60 gallon compressor's but I didn't realize I'd need to run black pipe and a filtration system. I'm looking for something that will work for air ratchet's, impact wrenches and small die grinders. I'm looking for atleast 5 cfms. I see some small dewalts and mikita's that have 6.5 cfms but they have small ass tanks and I"m worried about the compressor running all the time. I also have my eye on this one from Kobalt. I'm assuming that the larger the tank the better for using something like a die grinder.
What are you guys using?

Nothing wrong with a 60 gallon, If your running grinders ect you really need a 5HP or better so you dont have to worry about waiting for air, usually that will require a 220Volt electric.
I wouldnt use a small construction type compressor regardless of HP.
Just mt 2 cents.

I have a 220 line. I also won't mind spending $500 on a 60 gallon compressor. I just don't have the extra cash for piping and filtration.

You don't need piping and filtration. I've had compressors going on 20 years and still use just hoses. I added water filters a year or so ago because I got a bead blasting cabinet. If you paint, you'd need and want filters.

I will admit, my hose set-ups have progressed over the years. I use one of those coiled yellow hoses on the end of the rubber one. Makes working with the tool and moving around with it much easier. I also have a 3-way splitter w/ 3 quik disconnects on it for the end of the hose. This allows me to hook 3 of those coiled yellow hoses up w/ 3 tools. Very handy when cutting, grinding, and wire wheeling. Three little $8 HF die grinders and I'm golden.

Here's the 60 gallon I'm looking at. I went to tp tool and to lowes and they're telling me I need all this extra shit. 5twins what are you running on your compressor? I'd like to do a ball joint right out of the tanks them a 1/4 quick disconnect. Is this possible? what is the bare minimum that I can get away with.

Horsepower doesn't mean doodly. Storage Capacity (size of tank in gallons) is good because it means longer times between run cycles, but it's still not the most important spec.

CFM - Cubic Feet Per Minute - is THE critical specification for any compressor. It's telling you how much air the compressor can push at a set pressure (usually 125 PSI) at full load. If a compressor is rated at 15 CFM @ 125psi, that means it will put out a constant 15 CFM at that pressure with the compressor running full time. More CFM is always better, especially if you're running a blasting cabinet or a high volume air tool like a grinder or sander.

To belabor the point a bit, a 5hp motor turning a compressor head that only puts out 9 CFM is not as good a deal as a 3hp motor turning a compressor head that puts out 12 CFM, all other things being equal.

All you NEED is a regulator and a quick connect. Most compressors will come with these, and you can hook a hose directly to the compressor and you're good to go.

Piping and valves are nice to give you the option of plumbing outlets where they're the most convenient instead of having to drag hoses all over the place. I have one at my workbench, one in my woodworking shop and one by the overhead door with a hose reel.

Filters and water traps are nice if you're running a blasting cabinet or painting. In line oilers are nice if you do a LOT of work with air tools. DO NOT run an oiler on a line that will be used to run a paint gun, you don't want any oil residue in your paint.

Back