re mikes Xs big green single coils wheres + or - ???

2phased

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished mounting mikes big green coils to my 277/750
when i noticed that theres no indication on the coil what terminal is positive or earth !!
anybody help
J

great so since i have 2 x single coils which goes to the kill switch and which goes to power or does it matter ?

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 139
2phased,

Well, actually, it does matter on a single output coil. The correct polarity will produce a negative voltage to the spark plugs. A negative voltage is 40% more efficient than a positive voltage. Also, the timing light is designed to work best with a negative voltage.

Here is a pic of the coil:

singlegreen.jpg

The green wire goes to the green wire on the PAMCO the red wire goes to switched battery (+).

I guess on single outputs...never thought of that. I don't remeber if my dual output greenie had polarity markings. but then one side is - and one is + on the secondaries correct?

So. Possibly a dumb question. Red to the kill (red with white stripe)? Green to points signal wire and condenser. I'd love an illustration of this set up if anyone has time. Or a pic of your similar set up. I just wanna do this right the first time

On a dual output coil it does not matter. Single output it makes a difference, but the coil should be marked + or -. Plus side to the switch.

Unfortunately the coil wasn't marked I just copied pamco peters picture above. I wonder why they wouldn't mark them. Did they just stop doing that?

It's part# 17-6807 single tower xs performance high output coil from 650 direct. Aka Canadian version of mikes xs. I'm extremely new to terms so I don't know weather they're single or dual output coils.

Re post #6 Pamcopete that information is golden. In ignorance I also assumed it made no difference. Thanks for posting.

So. Possibly a dumb question. Red to the kill (red with white stripe)? Green to points signal wire and condenser. I'd love an illustration of this set up if anyone has time. Or a pic of your similar set up. I just wanna do this right the first time

Yes green, grounds through the points.

Here is a method to verify that the output of the coil is negative:

spark_polarity.gif

Only one of the outputs from a dual output coil will pass this test. The other output is positive, which is 40% less efficient, hence the reason why most dual output coils are called "high performance" and produce a much higher voltage than ordinary coils to compensate for this inefficiency.

7406880295868b71c6e55b66608bc73a.jpg

Possibly this one?

Back