Hugh's Engine Rebuilding Tips/Tricks...

Punkskalar

Hugh's HandBuilt
Reaction score
Ok folks,

I have been doing these for BikerMetric, but I know you would like to have them organized in one place... So here ya go...

1st article is about rebuilding your crank, and all that entails..
http://www.bikermetric.com/2011/11/techtips-re-phasing-your-xs650-by-hugh.html

2nd article, is transmission and crank installation.
http://www.bikermetric.com/2011/12/techtips-xs650-transmission-assembly-by.html

I am working on more articles as we go, but these should be of great help to any of you rebuilding your own engine :thumbsup:

As always, thanks to XS650.com and all it's members for the continued support. I will always try to do tech tips, articles, and other XS650 related articles. They may not always be specific to XS650.com, but I will do my best to make the information Hugh's HandBuilt publishes available to all you folks. I will update this thread as more articles get published. - Hugh

Last edited:
Yes, very nicely done. A little tip about spreading the Hondabond - I use one of those acid or flux brushes with the bristles cut about half way down (so they're stiffer) and "paint" the sealer on. A little dab of sealer on the case then spread it all out with the brush. Clean the brush up afterward with lacquer thinner and it can be used over and over again. I keep it right with the tube of sealer.

^Yep, the ellipsis is part of the actual url instead of the link text. I'm sure it's a good article though, as are others ;)

Thanks Hugh for yet another GREAT set of tips for working on these little jewels. I am in awe of your expertise and humility. Happy Holidays to all

The bits that have earned Hugh much respect in my eyes are found in the statement in his signature, and the fact that he continues to share his knowledge, rather then just go "I could tell you, but... I'd rather not. I can do it for you for $___ though."

Integrity, this man has it.

With all this awesome tech now I can't decide whether to drop my coin on your rephase parts a tube bender! Was going to put off an engine rebuild as I hadn't done one before but now I'm leaning towards taking the plunge. I wish I new you were hiding up in the NC mountains when my wife was going to WCU I woulda dropped in!

Back