oil coming out exhaust pipe

kman40

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
okay ,just bought bike. it starts runs on one cylinder then the other cylinder kicks in only to backfire and puke out large amount of oil.Is there oil passages that could be plugged in the top end?

Thought I would elaborate on this a little more… If you're sure it's oil coming out of the exhaust and not just condensation and carbon, you either have a hole in that piston, bad rings, or bad exhaust valve seal/guide. All require pulling the motor and taking it apart.

Have you checked the compression on that cylinder? Not that it's going to matter since you're going to have pull the motor anyway, but just curious. If you don't have the money, time, or knowledge to fix that motor, you could probably get a good used one for about $100 US that should get you going again in no time. It would probably be cheaper and easier anyway. Let us know what you figure out.

mate i had the same problem my xs had a hole in the piston check out my photos best thing to do is pull it appart iv got a spare piston if thats what it is

Okay I pulled the engine out of the frame.Took the top end apart and found that 1 piston and rings first over .25.The other piston the one that throws oil everywhere is standard piston with .25 over rings.Would this cause that much oil to come out the exhaust?Thanks for all the information..

- check your piston to cylinder clearance...if its 0.10mm or more its too much
- decoke the piston including the ring grooves and make sure the oil relief holes arent blocked
- check the piston for damage...pitting, cracking, scoring or broken sections in the crown, ring lands and skirt
- if you have your cylinder off, after cleaning the piston and rings put the rings back on the piston, invert it and slide back into the bore...stand over a white surface or light box...you will see if there is a gap anywhere

- the oil expander rings also have a tendency to compress...you can retension them if youve got 3 hands...this wont work if you have too much piston to bore clearance
-need a 75mm pipe or old piston...oil the outside surface​
-slide the expander ring over the outside surface​
-hold one end to the surface​
-hold the middle against the surface-no gaps​
-pull the other end towards the fixed end..ie. stretch it slightly...you only need a few tenths of a mm...when you refit the piston into the cylinder they will come to a natural balance​

On mine. The bike had stood for ages. After running it up. The exhaust is really oily and you do get a good drip from the exhaust. The engine doesn't seem like its loosing a cylinder. But when its hot it has a valve tap. Adjusted the valves as per spec. but it is worrying.

I am also having oil coming out of my exhaust manifold. It only seems to be doing it when the engine warms up. The bike sat for 5 years before I got it. I had it out for a ride for about 45mins and it was running great and then it just started leaking oil pretty bad from the exhaust manifold and I also have oil leaking out onto the top of the sparkplug from the cover above it. I don't know what to do, please help.

Other places it could be coming from in that area are the cylinder head cover, sealing washers on the head or I suppose it could leak out from the inspection cover or sealing washers and run along the engine to drip into the spark plug area but those would be obvious. More likely it is the cam seal and/or o-ring.

It's coming out of the cover right above the spark plug. It's also leaking out the exhaust manifold where it goes into the head. Is there anything that I can spray in the engine to clean it? It looks like the valve stem seals are gunked up.

If that is the case and it was my engine, I would pull it and remove the top cover. I wouldn't trust riding a bike with a motor like that.

i too have some white smoke coming out of my exhaust it feels like it has alot of compression i need to get a compression tester ... i pulled the plugs and they look like this i know i need to go through my carbs to re jet them for denver but im afrade that it might be something not so good when it is running both cylinder sound good (if i was sitting on the bike) Left side
right side

If the bike hasn't been running for a while spray some pb blaster or other rust buster in the cylinders kick it few times let it sit overnight, kick it a few more times put the plugs in and run it for 1-200 miles see what happens, If you are fouling a plug you can go to a BP6ES a slightly hotter plug. Valve seals get old hard and can even split, stuck rings, a loose valve guide, leaking head gasket, or worn cylinders, search in here for head stud retorque always do that on a new to you bike.

Nothing? LOL I like to think it may help loosen rings from old gooey oil and carbon deposits in an engine that has been "resting" for a long time. Maybe loosen and flush down any rust that has formed on cylinder walls. I use a lot of it and it does quickly loosen rust from metal surfaces.

Last edited:
Back