Bobbers and choppers everywhere.

srinath

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am working on building a cafe xs and a tracker GR, and the problem is, no one has any ideas. There is 10 guys in my hood who want to build choppers and bobbers and a few who already have. They hack 1/2 the bike off and toss the rest. I would rather do minimal work, light shaving of brackets and stuff, but I seem to be entirely out numbered.
Has any one else felt like a Cafe racer in a bobber world ?
Oh a few bobbers are for sale around here, but none of these guys who cant hold a tig welder or a paint sprayer or tune a carburetor will buy one of those.
Dreamers ... but why are they dreaming bobber and not flat-tracker.
Cool.
Srinath.

It's all what you are accustomed to man. I have nothing against cafe racers and trackers; I really admire the truly well done ones. Just like I love Shin's work. His are diff. I like them. I grew up around the rough and rowdy uncle types.... That being said they always had old knuckles, Pans and flatheads. I like the simple design approach. I love rat rods, too. Not big on "super cars" like ferrari. Don't get me wrong. If someone said here's the key, wanna drive it? My answer would of course be FUCK YES. However, if it were my choice I'd rather have a rat rod or something with a carburetor. Just preference man. Who cares what they think you should do with it. Do what you want.

I will tell you that my favorite racer "build thread" is over on JJ about Dick Gambino's BMW
I know how people feel about JJ, but if you want to read a truly inspirational thread:

Go Here

This is a link to the JJ thread. Warning that it is a 27 page thread.

Last edited:
There's a ton of pictures on 650chopper.com in the "archive" section, Cafe Racer magazine has a bunch, Loaded Gun Customs in Delaware builds them, Cafe Racer TV, 650motorcycles.com has ton of pictures and such. There's plenty out there.

It seems like a lot of trouble for being minimalistic.
Like hacking off a frame, removing the shock and SA then paying up 400 for a hard tail, plus more for a minimum wiring and buying lights and seats and everything ...
I am not refering to anyone in particular ...

After India's independence Mahatma Gandhi insisted on living in his tiny village, not moving out of his hut and at the same time he was considered a national hero needed for every event in the capital which was 1/2 way across the country and he was also a lightning rod for separation related issues so had to have tight security around him, obviously very needed cos he got assasinated by one of the disaffected.
Anyway The then prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru after looking over the costs of ferrying him and his entourage and security apparatus across the country remarked - "man its costing us a lot of money to keep this man in poverty".

That is what it reminds me of correct or incorrect ... I dunno ... its easier to turn a bike like a suzuki savage say into a chopper or single seat bobber. Just bolt on rods in place of the shocks and you're done. I also know of people putting springy seats on ... that is it.

Minimalistic bobbers that cost 2g over the cost of the xs aren't minimalistic IMHO.
Like a minimalist having a 300 lb girl friend.
Cool.
Srinath.

Well, that goes the same with a Cafe/street tracker. Are you racing it? Why do you want a race type bike? Are you using it on the street and track?
I have a rigid and it has cost me, a total now, that includes bike and everything, $2,500.00. Now, is a cafe style tank, that costs $400.00 and added racing stripes worth it? Just to hold gas?
Cafe is a style, just like a rigid. Cafes also are intended to go in exccess of 100mph. Flat trackers, usually, go on a track.
What do you plan to do with yours?

It seems like a lot of trouble for being minimalistic.
Like hacking off a frame, removing the shock and SA then paying up 400 for a hard tail, plus more for a minimum wiring and buying lights and seats and everything ...
I am not refering to anyone in particular ...

After India's independence Mahatma Gandhi insisted on living in his tiny village, not moving out of his hut and at the same time he was considered a national hero needed for every event in the capital which was 1/2 way across the country and he was also a lightning rod for separation related issues so had to have tight security around him, obviously very needed cos he got assasinated by one of the disaffected.
Anyway The then prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru after looking over the costs of ferrying him and his entourage and security apparatus across the country remarked - "man its costing us a lot of money to keep this man in poverty".

That is what it reminds me of correct or incorrect ... I dunno ... its easier to turn a bike like a suzuki savage say into a chopper or single seat bobber. Just bolt on rods in place of the shocks and you're done. I also know of people putting springy seats on ... that is it.

Minimalistic bobbers that cost 2g over the cost of the xs aren't minimalistic IMHO.
Like a minimalist having a 300 lb girl friend.
Cool.
Srinath.

The look. Not necessarily the change or cost. If Ghandi were to submit to lavish living in the city.... He wouldn't be Ghandi. Sometimes appearances are more important than reality. My next project is going to be one that I do as cheaply as possible, for resale. If I plan on keeping it then yeah I'm going to do what I like. Same as I'm telling you now. Who cares what they think about cafes. What do you care about? I never understood why some people have an instinctual need to down on someone else's dream bike. Who cares if they are dreaming bobber. Your dream is cafe or street tracker. So tell them to shove it and build it. They will still be dreaming while you're riding away.

Last edited:
My point Jimmy. I hear it all the time that I want a bike "like a Harley". If I wanted a damn Harley I would buy it. I like my bike, chopped, and loud. I am a fan of both, but I like this one. I built it and I don't care what people say. Last guy to tell me that I was trying to "act Harley" I asked where his bike was?, then told him "no, I want a rigid XS650". He didn't even own a bike.
There's an old saying. "Put up or shut up". Tell the bobber guys to bite it and build a sweet cafe to make them druel.

It's all what you are accustomed to man. I have nothing against cafe racers and trackers; I really admire the truly well done ones. Just like I love Shin's work. His are diff. I like them. I grew up around the rough and rowdy uncle types.... That being said they always had old knuckles, Pans and flatheads. I like the simple design approach. I love rat rods, too. Not big on "super cars" like ferrari. Don't get me wrong. If someone said here's the key, wanna drive it? My answer would of course be FUCK YES. However, if it were my choice I'd rather have a rat rod or something with a carburetor. Just preference man. Who cares what they think you should do with it. Do what you want.

I will tell you that my favorite racer "build thread" is over on JJ about Dick Gambino's BMW
I know how people feel about JJ, but if you want to read a truly inspirational thread:

Go Here

Wow! I just read that whole thread and I am blown away. That guy is a hero. What a life!
The factoids and tips through out are great.
Will definitely be trying the fuel proof dope tip when I repaint my tank.
Thanks for sharing that.:thumbsup:

Wow! I just read that whole thread and I am blown away. That guy is a hero. What a life!
The factoids and tips through out are great.
Will definitely be trying the fuel proof dope tip when I repaint my tank.
Thanks for sharing that.:thumbsup:

No problem man. That's the only thread on JJ that I am "subscribed" to. I get an email anytime La Dolce posts something to it.

The look. Not necessarily the change or cost. If Ghandi were to submit to lavish living in the city.... He wouldn't be Ghandi. Sometimes appearances are more important than reality. My next project is going to be one that I do as cheaply as possible, for resale. If I plan on keeping it then yeah I'm going to do what I like. Same as I'm telling you now. Who cares what they think about cafes. What do you care about? I never understood why some people have an instinctual need to down on someone else's dream bike. Who cares if they are dreaming bobber. Your dream is cafe or street tracker. So tell them to shove it and build it. They will still be dreaming while you're riding away.

Oddly If gandhi moved to a village near delhi or bombay (where millions of people wanted to see and delegates and politicians wanted to talk to him everyday he'd have lived a few more years ...
Instead he gets assasinated by a nutcase with a gun. How stupid do we look, dude, ever hear of lincoln ...
Cool.
Srinath.

Also I have an odd twist of mind. Small changes like pipe or seat or whatnot, I need everyone to see it.

Big changes like a chopped frame, different FE or SA ... you should not even see it. That's just me again.

Cool.
Srinath.

One could argue that any XS on a rigid frame is in-fact, a chopper and not a bobber. Choppers get the axe, Bobbers simply get the unnecessary, removed.

Of course, I understand the confusion as the first bobbers were HDs, Indians and such that came from the factory on a rigid frame. Yamaha has never built a rigid frame so a genuine Yamaha bobber would still have a swing arm frame. Bobbers are cheap to build, choppers more expensive. Bobbers and choppers were an American phenom.

Bobbers were the grandaddies of choppers and cafe racers. The earliest choppers were simply bobbers with raked frames and extended front ends. The earliest cafe racers were bobbers modified for street racing and better handling. While bobbers and choppers first appeared in the US where roads are generally wider, straighter and longer, cafe racers were bore in Europe where roads are generally narrow, crooked and shorter. (With exceptions, of course.)

Of course, none of this really matters. Of the 3 XSs I plan to keep, one is a touring style with tracker handlebars to aid in handling, one will be on a monoshock swingarm and the 3rd is planned to be on a rigid frame with a bump stop seat and a bikini fairing-- you know, like the very early British cafe racers.

Fact is, I've always bucked trends. In the '70s when everyone else was jacking up the rears of their cars, I bought a new Chevy pick-up and dropped it 6" ending up with a pickup that could out handle any muscle car in town and still do 11 second quarter miles.

And most recently I've been ecomodding and building motorized bicycles.

Building a bike is an art form that requires a lot of science-- build what you want and let the true artist come out.

The convention is - if you cut it @ the neck its a chopper, cut it anywhere and everywhere else its a bobber. Cutting the neck and rewelding it back together as you can well imagine takes talent and confidence. You have a lot of load goiing through there, alignment and other aspects are coltrolled by the neck and those really take some nerve to cut and re weld.
If the xs were frame transplanted onto a rigid, or even a sprung frame it can be called a chopper, hacking off the tail section and welding one on and making it a hardtail is hardly chopping it.
Cool.
Srinath.

Bobber - Removing the unnecessary you say :D

I see swingarms as completely unnecessary

No ... hell no, if you remove it what would you use to stretch and chrome. Estended bling arm dude, ask any "biker" ... A shaved and slammed Busa with estended bling arm is where its at.

Yea that's where its @, which is why all the retards are riding it.

I have a Hayabusa helmet cos its a RF 1000 that I got for 100 bucks new, and that attracts more than my fair share of these Idiots.

Cool.
Srinath.

Last edited:
Bobber, chopper, bike, whatever. I call it mine and I ride it everyday. I refer back to my friend that has a bad ass bike. Top of the line parts. He calls it a chopper, tells everyone about his chopper, makes fun of other peoples bikes, but I call his "bike" an untiled piece of garage candy with bad rings that hasn't been started in 2 years.

Back