Jockey shift questions.

PAhunter

Complete Noob
Reaction score
I am sure someone on the board here must have tried this one at some point or another.
In my case its more out of neccessity than just the cool factor. Whatever I do though has to look cool or I have to find a way to make it look cool.

Because of problems with my left hand its pretty hard/near impossible for me to use a standard clutch.

So here was how I intended to solve the problems and lay out the controls.

For braking I was looking at a proportional valve or progressive braking system both tied into the same pedal for front and rear.That would be right side.

Pennsylvania requires both a front and rear brake.

For clutch I was going to go with a foot operated cable clutch on the left side.

Throttle as standard though with the bars I am going to use I was going to go with an internal cable. With no clutch lever on the bars I may as well hide the throttle cable for a cleaner look.

Jockey shift or suicide shift whatever you like to call it on left side but has to be something I can push forward and pull back more with my palm rather than wrapping fingers around it.

MY ATV does not have a clutch so its not a problem and this problem has never come up before on any bike I have ever owned. Unfortunatley I am at a stage of I have to accept limited use of my left hand and make the best of it.

I would love to have used a rear drum hub but that alone I think would not have been enough brakes.What with PA's requirement for front and rear brake and wanting wire wheels I am going to go with I believe a Suzuki rear wheel and disc setup. At least thats what the chap who is doing my frame and helping me with other things has said.

Thats really my most important issue at the moment as he wants to have a wheel he can measure up and know the exact axle size so he can get the frame done.

Its probably going to mean going with a custom made sprocket but thats something I can live with.

So if anyone has any ideas on a rear wheel I can use (has to be spokes preferably 16 inch) that does not involve a ton of buggering about with or any of the other idea's I have mentioned above especially the jockey shift or foot operated cable clutch and has any info or pictures ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them.

Apart from all the regular questions a newbie has I hate to dump all this on you guys. But I figure there are plenty of people here that have tried some pretty innovative stuff and can offer some insight.

I have already had to alter what I originally thought of doing but I think I am on the right track with a different spoked wheel with disc brake setup.

This sort of ties into the thread on triple tree problems I have going as using the bars I like will put me in a good position to ride somewhat comfortably.

Thanks in advance for any hints tips suggestions etc. It is appreciated greatly.

Ian.

Definitely go with disks front and rear, the drum locks up too easy. What if you ran both brakes from the right lever and used your right foot for clutch and left to shift. Since clutch is a cable it should be easy to route it around to that pedal and you'd keep both hands on the bars.

First, just to keep terminology straight: Suicide shift is a Jockey shift with a foot clutch. Called that because of how easy it is to forget and put your foot on the ground while still in gear... at intersections and such. It really should be (and is) called a suicide clutch.

Jockey shift is just when you have the hand shifter down by your ass, referring to how a jockey traditionally held his quirt, whether the bike has a hand clutch or the clutch lever is mounted on the shifter. Now pretty much any hand-shifter is called a Jockey, but it originally meant the short ones.

You could also go with a left-hand throttle, right hand clutch, if that's possible for you.

Or a left foot clutch, right foot throttle, right hand jockey shift with both brakes on the right hand bar!

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

An idea based on a road siderepair that my dad did: clutch cable brokeat the lever, so he ran itto the brake pedal, since he had a fair bit of slack.

What you could do is setup your pedal to clutch through the first portion, then brake after that, (kinda like a lawn tractor), mod the pedal so thatit spins freely, put one arm splined to the brake, and aanother which pivots on that shaft, run a tab from the pedal which willengage the 2 arms, in sequence.

Posted via Mobile

Or a left foot clutch, right foot throttle, right hand jockey shift with both brakes on the right hand bar!

How would you hold the bike up as you take off from a stop?

I'm thinking suicide shift might be the way to go for this one. :twocents:

Or left foot clutch with an air shifter kit.

I did this once when I had a severe LH wrist sprain. I just swapped brake and clutch cables. Drum front brake so it was a 10 minute job. I could just haul on the brake lever with my palm didn't need the squeeze like a clutch does. Takes a little to get used to the clutch and throttle in the same hand but it was doable. A buddy "borrowed" the bike. Didn't see the humor in my new "set up"

Uh.... that one was meant to be a joke. Apparently the exclamation point didn't emphasize that as I thought it would.

Nope! haha! I needed to see one of these :D or these :wink2:

I was too busy trying to figure out how that would work and was thinking "Man Teebs, you really didn't think this one through at all!" :laugh:

Back