Carb care, post-Ultrasonic cleaning?

Ironriot

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

So my '83 BS34s just got out of their bath in the ultrasonic cleaner. Looks like it worked pretty good, lots of crap came out of those passages that I didn't think was there. And I thought I got them pretty clean with the baking soda blasting. For the first dunk I tried almost boiling water and dish washing soap. Didn't work so great so I stepped up to half water/half vinegar. Worked great BUT I noticed that the wax/glue that seals up the small brass check balls located thru-out the carb body has melted/vibrated out. Should I attempt to reseal those things? If so, what works best?

Thank you!

Just purchased an '80 XS. Got it running, though rough after initial carb cleaning. I am going to take them off and reclean. I came across this method for a very cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Research indicates that it should work fine. You just need a container, a bungee cord or strap, some cleaner and a small sander. Here is a video:

a very cheap ultrasonic cleaner. Research indicates that it should work fine. You just need a container, a bungee cord or strap, some cleaner and a small sander. Here is a video:

That should be described as a vibrating cleaner, it is not ultrasonic by an order of magnitude (or two) on the tempo of the vibration. I like pinesol (or the cheap store brand) in my cleaner bath. Cleans the carbs very well, does not hurt any other parts or whatever the gray glue is. I would use epoxy to reseal the balls.

Wow! Never thought of that! I've got a couple of extra old vibrator sanders laying around. Plus a few old kitty litter buckets.

Back