Porshe valve adjusters

those are more refered to as 'elephant foot' adjusters. use ing the search funtion, I found three threads. your turn

- a little care needed when using the porsche or vw adjusters, the rocker arm needs modifying and the feet can fall off when installing or removing them

The elephant's foot adjusters don't eliminate the need for adjustments but do run quieter and reduce the amount of wear (dimpling) on the valve stem tops.

it's alright, don't we all have those days?

inxs that's what i had thought before, I was a little mystified at the complete elimination of valve adjustment

I did the mod on my 75 engine. You need to cut away part of the rocker. The foot won't fall off unless you break the adjuster.
There is less need for adjustment because the elephant foot adjuster pushes against the whole valve stem not just a very tiny spot in the center.
The elephant foot covers the entire end of the valve stem. This spreads the pressure over a much larger area. This keeps the wear down to a minimum. It keeps the adjuster and valve stem flat and even as they wear. The flat surfaces maintain the adjustment better and longer.
The very tiny spot in the center wears quickly. The ball end gets flat and the stem gets indented. This make adjustment harder. The worse the wear the faster it wears.
There is less noise because oil is held in the socket of the foot and acts as a shock absorber.

Back