Introducing Me and my 1983 Heritage Special Restoration

Here's my mentors re-chromed H.S. 64 spoke front with a raised letter tire, plus some other mods that he's putting together on an '80. Dam, he busts my stones to keep me in line....
Wheel_007.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the encouragement and input Peeps!

I have a long way to go, and will have many more questions!

My Garage/workshop is coming along... but I have a 4.0 Jeep stroker for my son on my bench/stand for this month, and trying to get my Airstream Motorhome ready for some traveling too!
Couple of Pics for fun...
Jeep 4.0 to 4.7 Stroker motor build.
DSC01358.jpg

1984 Airstream 345 and me!
DSC06682.jpg

No, the swing arm is still as the PO left it... As I said I needed the bike mobile for moving house etc, so I will do it after the whole thing is torn down for refinishing.

Anyone have an opinion on paint verses powdercoating the frame/swing arm?

Yeah, always wanted an Airstream, but Prefered a Motorhome, as its more fun to travel in... then one day I saw an Airstream Motorhome, and I was in love!
Mine in an 1984, and 34.5' with a 454 BBC in it!
It will need some TLC, and then a polish job....
Check out this one that is my inspiration!
:thumbsup:
christine22.jpg

Here is my favorite 'RV", and a much bigger and longer term project...
A 1977 Dodge B300 1 ton van....
Room to carry bikes.... Slightly modded...:yikes:
DSC07111.jpg

Anyway, back to Bike...
I was over at storage yesterday and pulled her out into the sunshine for a few pics...
DSC01724.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

DSC01721.jpg

And questions...
The RH switch gear is good, as it was under the tarp...
DSC01732.jpg

LH is faded...
Any way to refurbish it?
DSC01734.jpg

No, its not a forgotten project!

My buddy just finished painting the Tank and Side panels...
He is a perfectionist....
MyTank.jpg

MySidepanels.jpg

Not much progress recently, but I took some better pics of the tank and sidepanels before i packed them up and stored them.

DSC02995.jpg

DSC02996.jpg

DSC02997.jpg

Original side panel sticker..
DSC02998.jpg

Welcome and nice re build. My buddy has one on in 86` and dropped it at low speed with 3K miles, he didnt want to ride anymore so I bought it for 300 bucks, replaced the turn signals, bent the bars back and replaced the foot peg, mirror and grips.
Nice comfortable bike in stock form.
I think the left housing may restore with some WD40, It is a light solvent and usually removes oxidation.
As well I use I use WD40 as a primer for the first coat of chassis paint on frames, and anything else I paint. It makes the first coat flow on smooth and following coats smoother. Just sand the swingarm down smooth then spray liberally, wipe down lightly and apply the first coat right after.

As well I use I use WD40 as a primer for the first coat of chassis paint on frames, and anything else I paint. It makes the first coat flow on smooth and following coats smoother. Just sand the swingarm down smooth then spray liberally, wipe down lightly and apply the first coat right after.

Ummm...
WD40 for primer?:yikes:

Still not a forgotten project!

I have been collecting parts and doing stuff when I had time.
Found new/better rims to replace the pitted/rusty originals.
Spent time polishing some of the castings.

Anyone have any input of clearcoat or clear powdercoating them to keep them good?

Goodness, Its been a while!
So, the bike is coming back onto my radar.

I pulled some parts back from storage, to restore.
First out of the box were the Carbs...
Now, I have a rebuild kit on hand, and am not worried about the job, but I have an issue....
See, I just built a Vapor Blasting Cabinet, and I planned to blast the carbs back to a lovely finish... but I forgot they are black!

Opinions on:
1/ Blasting and leaving the satin Aluminum.
2/ Blasting and repainting black.

Anyone?
007.png
008.png

007.png
008.png

Here is an Alfa Romeo 2.0 HC Piston I just cleaned up...
015.png

020.png

Attachments

• 019.png
    019.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Nice to see you are back.
I have a rebuild kit on hand, and am not worried about the job
Check the brass in the kit and make sure that it's the correct stuff. Hope you are also replacing the throttle shaft seals.
Opinions on:
1/ Blasting and leaving the satin Aluminum.
2/ Blasting and repainting black.
I'm not a big fan of painted carbs. Prefer the natural aluminum look. But if you are doing a true restoration then they need to be how they came from the factory.
Good luck and keep posting

Back