I'm stuck on pegs! Any ideas?

mr5ev3n

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Six-Fifters, I'm building a 650 hardtail and I'm kind of stuck. I can't seem to think of any good idea for pegs. :banghead:
The stock part of the frame where the front pegs mounted are obviously now gone, so that idea is out.
I'm not over the top about forward controls because most of my riding will be in city-esqe traffic.
I'm not even looking for the most bizarre, off the wall idea either. Just a simple weld or clamp on system that keeps the bike clean. I was debating a steerhorn type set-up from early Yams, but am not sure if that'd pan out right. Furthermore, the only set I have is still on and functional on my other bike.

So, any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.
mr7

Just weld on some brackets to hold normal male end pegs. Make sure you position them well with regard to shifter arm, and also to rear brake pivot - the pegs should actually go pretty high up to work well with stock shift peg. Annoyingly, I had to relocate my rear brake pivot as it became apparent it was a good pos. relative to the pegs.
I'm just using real plain black rubber harley passenger pegs. They fold up for use of kicker. That's the other thing - make sure if you use ones that don't fold up, that they aren't in the way of the stroke of your kicker if you're gonna use it.

I've seen a build where someone cut up the old XS peg mounts and attached those to the frame to put their mids on.

!!!!! cool..yay, Manofsteele's link is the bike I was referring to.

Last edited:
I'm making some of those stock type ones right now cool thing is you can mount any peg style you like My only issue is my exhaust runs right under them hope my feet don't burn up

I did the setup as per a couple of the links shown here. This setup is easy to do, looks great, and works well, if yer a wantin mids that is! :thumbsup:

I'm running front controls, but wanted to have foldable pegs in the mid too so I can stand up if there is a rather large bump in the road, or just for a change of position when cruisin. I got some 70's Suzuki GT750 passenger pegs that are threaded at the end (they slide through the Suzuki frame and have a nut at the end... sorry no pics yet so I'll borrow from the net)... these ones.

pegs.jpg

They actually are the same size and thread pitch as the threaded holes in the bottom of the XS frame (under the motor). Threaded right in...

Thought I'd share that as an option. Though I think that chopping the stock pegs looks great.

guys, dont mean to hijack. I just made a bunch of rear sets from billet, and am thinking about making a brat style mount. I can use the same levers and pegs as with my rear set design, just Brat specific mounts.

Mine will mount to the stock peg location studs. and position the peg between the stud holes somewhere. i will get a nice 3d model of this this weekend.

I had the ardcore ones they fely to high . TC Bros felt flimsy . G&L make some nice ones dont know what you want to spend ? I cut the ardcore off made them lower welded a folding peg on . I did use the pegs from TC they were nice .peg.jpg

peg1.jpg

those look really nice, but wouldn't they scrape going around corners? that was one big issue for me mounting mine up. Making them up high enough.
Anyway, hope they work out just fine for you!

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. The mid-mount operation seems pretty practical.
I live in michigan, so I need the capability to stand up and have a buddy that is going to make me some awesome highway pegs. He's a blacksmith and forged out some horseshoes for his bike and made the mounts for it as well.
And, just because I'm constantly amazed by the shit that he does, this is my fireplace set that he handmade for me.
61560_1587346692026_1486580057_31530936_1128098_n.jpg

If anyone is interested in 1-off stuff for their bike, he's the dude to contact.
Didn't mean to make that a promotional post for my buddy. Thanks everyone for your help.

Back