Harbor Freight TIG welders

for 349 I'd give the bigger machine a shot...miller or lincoln want 3-4 times that much. the 199 machine would great for the practice before dropping bigger coin.

the 199 machine would great for the practice before dropping bigger coin.

Maybe... It might just work like shit and piss you off. I guess that's why he's looking for reviews. :shrug:

I've read that Harbor Freight has a pretty good return policy.. I don't know the policy on returning used welders, but you might be able to buy it, and if you don't like it, return it. I would definitely ask about the return policy before you buy though.

thanx guys. I have a miller 180, but would like to do some tigging. I know how to tig. i have a degree from clover park, so, learning isnt the issue. looking for bang for buck. think I'll pass any ways. I read a review that says it doesnt come with a power cord.no biggie to me, since Ive re-wired my 180 twice due to different configuartions of dryeer outlet in two houses ive lived in. Also the reveiws said the arc is unstable. reveiwer claimed to be a degreed welder as well.

I have a general question about welders since you guys know what your talking about.
I have a miller 130xp 120v mig welder I tried welding some pipe and metal together and it just spits spatters and makes a mess. its ok for tacking things but other then that I don't know... I got to use some real welders a industrial mig and tig at a friends machine shop and WOW its like night and day. They make it so simple both welders using argon
Mine has a Argon hook up and I have a tank but I need to buy the regular wire for the unit and try it out but heres my question
is 120v really enough? how good are these 240 units mig and tig? could I do all the frame welds with a ok 240v tig?
the welders I used were all 3 phase

I wouldn't bother much with the gasless on the mig setup, get the wire you need, hook up the gas, get your setting right and it should work okay. I have a 120v MIG and they say it's good to 3/16" but more realistically 1/8". It works good for almost everything on a motorcycle and auto body work. It's plenty to weld .120 wall tubing. If you have access to 240v, definitely stick with that. There are tons of good 240v MIG and TIG welders out there if you spend the $$$ to get quality stuff.

Well, I have a gasless MIG, a Lincoln, and am quite happy with it. Yes, I've had/used gas migs, etc. so I'm not uninformed. It does up to 1/4" fine and heavier with multiple passes. Hasn't disappointed me yet.

As far as HF, they pretty much have a no hassle return/refund policy. They know a lot of their stuff is junk and its better to give $ back than to piss people off. I shop there. Caveat Emptor, baby.

No such thing as gasless MIG. Flux core wire feed welder, maybe, but you can't have a Metal Inert Gas welder sans gas. Just sayin'...

It may do it fine, but there's fine and then there is good. Flux core doesn't have shit on MIG. I would also debate whether you're really getting full penetration with flux core on 1/4" with a single pass, but you know how that goes...

(You'll argue with me. I'll tell you you're full of shit. You'll get pissed and say I'm an asshole. I'll agree with you and still tell you you're wrong. Same old, same old.... But I'm right.) :D

I meant.. I wouldn't bother much with gassless (flux core) when your welder does MIG and Flux Core. Especially when he already has the gas for it.

Teebs, do you just go through life trying to impress people with your incredible intelligence or do you get your kicks tryin to piss people off or do you just have a bone up yer butt? I'm votin bone.

To quote you: I'm just sayin.

Of course MIG is "better" than gasless wire feed. TIG is "better" than MIG. Stick is better than acetylene. Sticks are better than automatics. Automatics are better than revolvers. Revolver was better than Rubber Soul. Rubber is better than plastic. Plastic is better than paper.

See? Anyone can have an incredible impressive intelligence.

If a man doesn't have 240 volts wired out to his shop is a MIG still better than a gasless wire feed (which runs on 120V) or if he can't afford a MIG or TIG? No, in that case, 120V wire feed, flux core is better than... nothing and may, in fact, be entirely appropriate for his needs.

Relax man.

All grown boys here. No need to impress or try to gain acceptance by putting down others or proclaiming their methods to be fuckupedness, hack jobs or whatever.

I've got an idea. Instead of you going around make snide comments about other people's projects, other people's art or whatever, why don't YOU post some of your -- stuff? This is your chance to show great you really are. I'm serious. I think you truly are a smart guy and I'm damn curious what you've done. Hell, I may end up bein a big fan.

Show us whatcha got, Teebs.

Uh KC he has he does some very good and rather artistic work. Take the time and look through his threads you might be surprised.
As to what he said the OP wanted to know if the cheesiest HF welder was good enough. In his inimitable way I think he said no. which I tend to agree with. Having welded a fair amount over the years, I tried flux core wire feed and quickly went and got gassed. Major worthwhile improvement. Especially if you are going to sit on your welds at speed.
Besides he is the Kwisatz Haderach! Your opinion is different than his, what do you weld with?

LOL You always have your panties in a twist, dude. Lighten up.

And uh... there are plenty of 110 MIGs out there.

Who needs to relax? You seem to think I'm the one that's ranting all the time (Take a look at your post.). I've said it before, but I can say it again... It's ALL tongue-in-cheek. Feel free to return in kind. I know that I'm a grown man, and as such I don't take words on the internet too seriously. Take it for what it is. :thumbsup:

I have a full build thread up here that you can look at any time you want. I know exactly what I'm doing and don't need to impress, or try to cultivate my self-esteem on here. I'm not interested in showing you how great I am or having you as a fan. I know my worth as an artist, why would you think I need you for validation? lol

You're the one who is pissed off. I'm just making conversation.

Well i'll get to the store and pick up some regular wire and get rid of this core wire stuff sounds like its much better
thanks for the input guys i'll let you know the results

Thumbs down, for sure. I hate that fucking thing.

Well the picture's kind of dark. You'd like it more if you could see it better.

whats going on with the rear end? its not hardtail or if it is my fat ass couldn't ride it.

It's not hard tail. That's a definite +1 point.

plusone.gif

Back