Mikes High Output Ignition Coil for TCI

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just recently finished my build (paint, suspension, etc) I had ordered this part from Mikes and was just waiting to finish the paint and rebuild before I installed it.

I ordered it with his XS Performance yellow wire set and NGK caps. (I already had Iridium plugs in the bike)

Anyways I threw it in today and right away the bike had better performance. It idled better and seemed to be a little bit smoother. I am pretty happy with the part and I think it was money well spent.

I heard that with hotter coils you can increase the spark plug gap. Is this true and what would a proper gap be with this coil?

Last edited:
If you mean the green coil, that bastard will jump six inches. Enough to stop your heart and start it back again too. Wear a Faraday shield around your nuts if you're riding that sucker.

well i have a TCI ignition too but i blew up my accell super coil. too bad really because it did run like a mother for the four miles before the coil died. but to answer your question yes you can make your spark plug gap bigger. i don't know specifically how big you can go but i would open her up for sure. the more powerful the coil the further the spark will jump and the bigger the gap the more fuel/air mixture is exposed to the spark giving you more power! yay!

also you might wanna up from the 132.5 main jets to 135. then you get even MORE fuel in the fuel air mixture and even more bang and even more power and all that adds up to more fun.

I've bought and installed Mikes XS TCI ignition. Won't start. Help with the trouble shooting? The directions seemed pretty simple. Anyone know of a video on YouTube I can watch?

Where to start?
Stock electronic ignition is TCI
None of the aftermarket systems are.
MikesXS used to sell Pamco but now sell a chinese knock off. The jungle drums have been beating about problems it. The circuit board even has pamco written on it. But you can only buy Pamco from Pete directly. http://www.yamahaxs650.com/

Thanks for the heads up. I'm emailing back and forth with Mikes XS trying to find a solution. I discovered a loose wire in my wiring so I've fixed that. Now it backfires when I shut off the ignition.

Back