talk Coils with me

PetesPonies

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a Pamco electronic ignition to install on my Brit XS650. I have waiited to do this last after I got it running. So I know I need a new coil, that has to be a good thing. With a point gap of .025 the stock ignition system must be really weak. So I'm ready for a coil that will work with the Pamco ignition. What have you guys running for a coil? I know it can get somewhat creative . . . whatcha using?

Go with the Green Monster coil. It works very well. Pamco also has a new High output coil on Mikesxs it puts out 85kv!! I think this is new so not many people have used it yet but if it's recommended by Pete you know it's good.

If you're looking to save a few bucks, shop eBay. We're lucky in that our bikes can use Harley coils and they're a dime a dozen on eBay. While I still had points, I used an Accel Power Pulse, about $14 from eBay. After I got the Pamco, Pete recommended a coil with lower ohms so I scored a 2.8 ohm red Andrews for about $25. These were full prices including the shipping. Both retail up near $90 .....

Coils.jpg

any dual fire coil with a primary resistance around 3 ohms will work. And yes, there are a lot of them out there. I just wanted to see what the guys around here were running and what was working well.

Here is a chart showing improving gas mileage with different coils and plugs, finishing with the new "Ultimate" coil (82KV) and Iridium plugs gapped to .035. If you do this with BS34's, be sure to have at least a 135 main jets because of the more efficient burn.

iridium.jpg

More efficient fuel burn equates to both improved gas mileage and more power. In this series of tests, only the gas mileage was recorded, but there has to be a corresponding increase in power as well.

The test runs were done over a two day period over the same 30 mile / 60 mi round trip course, returning to the same gas pump for the fillup. The route was mostly highway miles at 55 MPH with few stops. I think I could have done 70 MPG + if I had inflated the tires to 35, but I didn't think of that at the time.

I don't sell coils, so I have no reason to promote one over the other. Choose the one that works for you!

I have used the Accel dual output #140403S for the last 4 seasons. I first used it with points and a ballast resistor to reduce current flow. I later changed over to the Pamco with no ballast resistor. I use .035" gap on the stock type NGK plugs, and I get 56 mpg. Bike starts and runs extremely well.

Pete, I think the larger main is also helping with the mileage. Leaner jets don't always mean better MPGs. If the motor is too lean and struggling, the mileage can actually be worse. It would be interesting to see results with that last coil and the 132.5 mains. Also the 6822 and 135s, heck, even the stock and 135s.

I told both you and XSJohn several years ago that these 34s needed richer jetting but neither of you would have any of it. I'm happy to see that eventually, you both came around. Welcome to the dark side, lol.

I'm using the coil that comes with the basic Pamco kit from Mike's, I guess it's the 17-6822. It's so much better than the stock coils that I am quite satisfied with it. The bike starts very easily and runs smooth. It never did that with points and a few years ago I had replaced the original stock coils with new ones from Mike's.

Back