HOT new coil

anysnail

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i installed my new coil last week and i finally got my new main jets in today and i put them on as soon as i got off of work. got the bike back together and HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK! :eek: that thing took off like a bat outta hell!

i guess my throttle cable is a bit too short cuz when it's in full release, the cable that is, it misses the idle screw by about 1.5mm. the damn bike idles at 3000 but i can, by hand, force the throttle back against the idle screw stopper. is there any way of lengthening the cable or tightening the spring on my stock 34s? do i need to maybe buy a longer throttle cable?

oh yeah and one more thing when the guy at the store who sold me the coil told me i would immediately notice an improvement in my power i thought he meant a little bit. jesus h. chris this bike is a badass now! is it supposed to be this hot? should i be worried? :confused:

damn that's a lot of questions but this is my first bike and i really wasn't expecting that kind of performance out of the Accel dual output 140403s coil. maybe my old stock coil was just that wimpy. :shrug:

but yeah, my main question is what to do with the throttle cable? it's getting on late july and i haven't ridden since the 2nd. i'm dying to get out on the road here fellas. :bike:

- you have the same carbs and throttle as before? ... they were working before?

yes and yes. they worked fine and dandy but while i was waiting on parts from the internets i disassembled my bike to clean it. maybe i crossed the cable somewhere incorrectly.

shit shit shit. i just found that the cable had gotten bound up a bit around the tank. it's fine now but should it be running this hot?

Most likely, yes it should. The XS, when properly tuned, is a very peppy machine. Those old stock coils can barely produce a spark. My '81 would almost never start when I used the starter button cuz the starter sucked up so much juice from the battery, there was nothing left for those tired old coils to make a spark with.

So get on that thang and ride it like you stole it!

Oh yeah, the original stock type coils were definitely on the weak side. I've been using the Accel #140403S for the past 4 seasons, and love the coil.

When I had a 36 rear sprocket, the acceleration almost ripped my arms out of the sockets:yikes:. However, having a longer reach is not a bad thing:D. I tamed the beast by going to a 33 rear sprocket..................better for highway and gas milage around 56 mpg.

Enjoy your Accel coil.

Back