Rear drum brake linkage?

maxpower3

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I tried using the 'search' featutre, but didn't find anything right on point, so I thought I'd post. Forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I'm in the middle of your basic bobber chop, and I'm at the point where I need to rig up a linkage system to get the rear drum brake working. I'm using mid controls using the existing exhaust mounts. Does anyone have a workup of what I'm looking at here? Seems simple enough, but I just can't find a comprehensive thread on this.

Thanks in advance.

I saw that thread, but I'm a bit beyond that. I've already got the footpegs set up, so now I need to mount the rear brake pedal, as well as the linking components to the rear drum brake. That's what I'm needing help with, whether it be pics or a write-up.

0500.jpg

I did the Mulligan mid point setup. Here's pics of the brake side.

Attachments

• PB210896.jpg
    PB210896.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 1,966
  • PB210897.jpg
    PB210897.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 1,459

Yeah, that's the pic on the Mulligan mod page. To be honest -- that seems a bit oo difficult for me to fabricate on my own using only a picture. That's why I was hoping there was a thread where someone explains in depth how to rig up a whole setup.

I've done some research, and it seems like G&L and Ardcore manufacture brake pivots for xs650s, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking for since I'm running mid controls, not forward controls. Anyone know of a shop that would sell a complete kit (pivot + linkages) for mid controls?

I saw that earlier but I don't think that's what I need. It looks to be a picot for forward controls. I'm running mid controls so I need a pivot like the mulligan mod pic above.

It will work for mids too.... its just a matter of preference

Just looking at the product, I don't see how it could work for mid controls. If I understand things right, I'm going to need a brake pivot. The right side of the pivot (facing forward from the back of the bike) needs to bolt directly onto the brake pedal. The left side needs to attach to the rod going directly to the drum brake. I don't see from that picture how the pedal can attach to that particular pivot.

Yeah, that's the pic on the Mulligan mod page. To be honest -- that seems a bit oo difficult for me to fabricate on my own using only a picture. That's why I was hoping there was a thread where someone explains in depth how to rig up a whole setup.

to be frank, if you can't figure it out from this picture, maybe you shouldn't be trying to fabricate something as important as a braking system.
0500.jpg

to be frank, if you can't figure it out from this picture, maybe you shouldn't be trying to fabricate something as important as a braking system.
0500.jpg

You're probably right. That's why I'm giving it my best effort. But I'm new at this, and I'd like to do it right.

I checked out the stock brake pivot, and it looks like that's what Mulligan used in the picture. Also looks like he used the stock linkage. So the only things one would need to fabricate to replicate this setup would be:

1. Sleeve to house the pivot. Just a simple ~3/4 inch pipe, cut to fit?
2. Vertical component to attach the sleeve to the frame (how would one weld this to the frame? Cut a slit in the frame and drop it in?)
3. Small bracket on the rod/linkage side of the pivot, under the pivot (you can barely see it in the picture, but it isn't on the stock pivot). This is for the spring that pulls the pivot back into place.

Last edited:
I notice on a lot of of these rear drum setups that most people run a fixed metal rod from the drum to the frame to ensure that the drum doesn't spin while the bike is in motion. But I notice on one Ardcore bike that they used a threaded rod with heim joints, presumably to allow for the wheel to be moved about the axle plate (when necessary) without having to fabricate a new rod every time. Anyone run into this issue, and decided against just fabricating a fixed rod for that reason?

Here's the Ardcore bike I was talking about:
http://www.xs650chopper.com/2009/09/“the-flying-w”/

The threaded rod with heim joints could be replaced with a plain steel rod and everything would remain the same functionally. It is called a brake stay, and ideally it is mounted in tension.
You can buy tubing with the correct I.D. from www.speedymetals.com
also, do not cut a slit in your frame to mount the pivot sleeve, just weld a tab(s) onto it.

One more question. Take a look at the brake pivot arm in this picture. Notice the small tab on the Left side of the pivot? I think some xs650s have this tab already on the arm. My 82 doesn't though. Is it as simple as welding a small tab to the pivot arm, welding another tab a few inches forward of that on the frame, and stretching a spring between the two tabso to ensure that the brake arm comes back into place after it is depressed?

Back