new standard green coils from mikes...

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
after getting my new standard green coils to replace the 33 year old weakish coils on my 1976 xs650,,and converting back to points set up for now,, i was talking to a respected member in australia and he stated that the brown wire on the coils are positive not the orange as mikes stated ,,, HELP ,,,, THE MEMBER IN AUST.. STATED THE BROWN WIRES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN POSITIVE ,,,... whats happening to me ..your help would be appreciated regards oldbiker

Have a look at some wiring diagrams HERE
Shows a brown to the coils & grey to the points on a TX650 but red/white to coils & grey to points on a 1975/1976
Hope this helps a bit :thumbsup:

Wiring diagrams usually don't show the color of the wires on the coil, only the color of the wires running to them. Every stock coil I've ever seen had a brown and an orange wire. The orange was attached closer to the plug wire end of the coil and had a female bullet connector on it. The brown was closer to the center of the coil and had a male bullet on it. The brown always went to power, the orange to a points set. Mike's coils look the same. I would wire them brown to power, orange to points.

RightCoil.jpg

thanks guys for your help...i actually took some advice from you and also mikes after an email and did orange to points as they have female sockets and the 2 brown to red/white double female socket near r.h. side coil,, and surprise surprise,, right out of sight under the backbone were 2 seperate double sockets 1 brown 1 orange ,so i clipped in a condensor and anothe orange /brown wire right near the condensor wires ,, i was told it didn,t matter which way i put the condensors ,,so hopefully i,ve done something right,,, does anybody have an electrical drawing of a 1976 xs650cthat they could email me please regards oldbiker

Some where on here Jayel's colored diagrams are shown. Each diagram covers different years. Check them out. I even downloaded them into my computer.

hi guys,, well its finally happened,,,, i have spark at each plug,,, and thanks to great help from you guys and a true gentleman in australia,, i had a coffee... then i checked everything ,,i ended up putting the brown coil wires on the double female red/white socket ,the2 orange to the points wires ,and the 2 remaining double sockets up near the condensors carried the remaining wires ,,, it hasn,t started yet but where theres spark theres hope ,,, thanks fellas regards oldbiker

Back