Pamco Electronic ignition vs. high output?

pamcopete,
I've seen advertised your new version of the 60* "E-advancer" model ignition. I'd like some more info, as I'd like to combine it with the ultimate coil package and run a PMA. Is this overkill or the best of all worlds? I'm looking for drop-dead, A-bomb proof, set & forget reliability for a kicker-only setup using a minimalist battery (again, hopefully more reliable than a capacitor). Whadya think?

I'm not Pete but I can say that nothing made by the hand of man is dead drop A bomb reliable. On the set and forget part, Pete's ignitions both the original as well as the E-advancers are about as close as anything can be.
Personally I don't think a PMA is any more reliable than the stock alternators. If properly installed and maintained either system is very reliable. After all there are many XS650's that are still running the stock alternator with nothing more than new brushes occasionally. This seems reliable to me. The only advantage the PMA has is the option of running without a battery.
If you install the systems properly and use a good battery you should have no issues.
Mike's sells a complete kits with the Pamco and a PMA but I can't recommend it as much as getting the Pamco from Mike's and the PMA from Hugh's Hand Built.
Mikes has very little customer support, both Hugh and Pete are members her and have about the best customer support out there. The bit of extra cash is well worth the support.
Leo

Pete.....any insight into the EMGO Universal dual fire coil....24-37810? After installing the PAMCO and rewiring my bike i found i that my existing coil was bad and picked this up but want to ensure that it will work well with everything. Running kick and electric start. Thank you.

WRMDOVR

wrmdovr,

That coil is similar to MikesXS 17-6803. There have been reports of the primary terminals breaking off, but otherwise it will work.

The spec I found on it says it is a 4.5 Ohm coil, but MikesXS 17-6803 says 2.5, so what is the primary resistance on the one you have?

The Pamco started out with a 1 year warranty, It is now a two year warranty, How old is your Pamco?
You might want to contact Pete or wait till he responds to this post.
Leo

Pete,

i have two questions for you...

-i have a 1979 xs650 with a PMA in it and would like to know which model PAMCO to
get?

-i have a 1980 xs650 which was installed in late March and have an intermitent issue
it will start and run fine or it will not start but by slightly wiggling the wires to the
PAMCO....Voila' it fires up.

WRMDOVR

On the 79, it came with points, so you need the Pamco basic kit that doesn't have the advancer parts. You have them from the points set up.
If you want the E-advancer, any kit will work. You already have the bushings so you don't need them.
On your 80 that runs if you wiggle the wires has a loose connection some where. Check all your connections, fix them.
Leo

mistyped....it is a 1976

on the wire wiggling....it is the wires directly connected to the PCB printed circuit board.

WRMDOVR

Pete......received the replacement....thank you very much!

Also, on my 1976 xs650 that has a HHB PMA it was running a Boyer but it fried and based upon the PAMCO and excellent service i would like to replace it with one of your products.
What would you recommend to compliment the HHB PMA? Again.....thank you.

WRMDOVR

Pamco pete HELP. I have a 1979 xs650 installed the pma and Pamco. I have done all the tests. I have no spark,no headlights and no blinkers. I double checked triple checked every aspect of the install. I even bought new coils because i was only getting spark to one side of the coil pack. The only thing I can figure is the Pamco is NG... You had sent me a series of tests to perform. I am getting nothing from the pamco. only power going in nothing coming out???????:banghead::banghead::banghead:

losi9,

Are you using a battery or a capacitor with that PMA? I don't think the PAMCO would affect your headlight and blinkers.

losi9,

OK. Try connecting a seperate battery to power up the PAMCO for test purposes. You also said that your headlight and blinkers are not working. The PAMCO has nothing to do with the headlight and blinkers not working, but that could be an indication of other electrical problems that could affect the PAMCO, so I would suggest that you fix your headlight and blinker problem first. I would also check to be sure that that Harley battery is not connected with reverse polarity.

After you fix your headlight and blinker problems and have verified that the Harley battery is connected correctly, but still using a separate battery to power the PAMCO, try these tests:

Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

Testing the PAMCO

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.

To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

Pamco is not working. I tried everything got the blinkers and headlight to work. No spark. Did all the tests the common denominator is the Pamco e advance not working.

Back