Wanted - Seat for a 1978 XS Special

Not sure if you want to pay shipping from the U.S. but would this work? $15 plus actual shipping costs. The rubber pads on the bottom could use replacing.

It weighs about 11lbs all packed up and the box is 27"x17"x16" if you want to check on shipping charges. My zipcode is 54022.

Attachments

• seat01.jpg
    seat01.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 244
  • seat02.jpg
    seat02.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 252
1978 and 1979 650 Specials and the 1980 XS650 Specials were equipped with seats that are hinged on the right side,and the bottom profile is flatter than later model Special seats. The seat pictured is a lift off seat utilized from 1981-1984,and it most likely will not fit the 1978 Special very well without a lot of modification. 1980 Special also had a lift off seat,but the passenger step was not as pronounced. Travis,sorry if I piss you off by interjecting on your posts. I'll try to stop...honest!

Last edited:
Danno, not having the bike at home yet is making it a little difficult to see what is really needed.
If you are saying pan is relatively flat, then is the seat profile shaped by the foam ? If so this will be an easy fix...add a little padding under the front and shave down the back, replacing it with a higer density foam.... I should be able to get a flat seat profile.

Backroader...here are some pics that may better explain what I could not. The bulkier seat (the wider,taller one) is the later model Special seat. Note that the mounting system is entirely different,as is the actual pan profile. I would post what it looks like on my 1978 SE (it doesn't fit for shit),but if you think my couch is dirty,you'd probably puke when you saw how dusty my bike is :(.

Attachments

• late model Special seat (left).jpg
    late model Special seat (left).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 263
  • late model special seat (top).jpg
    late model special seat (top).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 268
Danno! When are you coming over to my house to sort out all the parts I have laying around? Apparently I can't remember what years they came off of. :doh:

I really thought this came off a 78 special...

I'm an idiot... That bike I'm thinking of is an 81.. :doh::doh::doh:

Judging from your skills,I would say you far from being an idiot! I just have a vast amount of trivial knowledge pertaining to old Honda and Yamaha motorcycles,as I grew up around them (and now have about 10 that are pulling duty as yard ornaments).

Well I appreciate the help in getting it all sorted out; otherwise I would have kept posting parts as from a 1978. :eek:

OK, I am going to wait until the bike is my garage..... I will try to keep my questions to something a little more technical:laugh:

Thanks for the input guys...I am still waiting for someone to speak up about the exhaust...lots of lookers, no talkers:laugh:

Backroader,I bought the early model Special seat pictured in post #5 of this thread on ebay about 3 years ago for $60 plus shipping. Like you are planning,I was going to modify it,but that probably isn't going to happen. It is from a 1980 Special II...no aluminum trim,but otherwise almost identical to my 1978 SE seat (cover pattern may be a bit different). It will fit your bike without any futzin' around. If you want it for $40 (or $45 with the pan repainted) plus shipping from NY 13160,it is yours. The pan has surface rust only,and the foam is in great shape. Best I can do price wise,as I have sold many parts for less than I paid for them. I don't seem to be making a profit this way...maybe I need increase my sales volume!

Your offer sounds good.Thanks Danno. I will contact you when I am ready to tackle the seat project. I have found a lot of bikes here in western Canada...the majority being 1979 and 1980 models. Mostly running and for restoration, probably only 2 or 3 that are for parts.

It would be good if you could find a seat locally,as I am shipping costs would be a BEOTCH! Let me know later,but no pressure,the seat isn't going anywhere.

I'm going to be selling or trading the seat that came on my bike, it's got the side hinge mounting system, and it's in very good condition. It's a "king and queen" style seat with a built in backrest. I'll even include the chrome sissybar thing that goes behind it (but not the luggage rack). I'm just looking to get enough to get a stock seat. Maybe $90 + actual shipping costs ? I don't know the actual value of the seat, or exactly how much it would cost to ship so the price is somewhat negotiable.

Check it out here:
http://s604.photobucket.com/albums/tt124/josephpmcgowan/bike/

(I will not have access to a computer from 12/25 to 12/31 because of out of state travel.)

jmcgowan, thanks for the offer however the seat you have is "exactly" what I am "not" looking for....I was hoping to modify a seat down to a flat profile without making any irreversable changes to the bike. much appreciated for responding.

jmcgowan, thanks for the offer however the seat you have is "exactly" what I am "not" looking for....I was hoping to modify a seat down to a flat profile without making any irreversable changes to the bike. much appreciated for responding.

hahahahahahahaha yeah it's exactly what I was NOT looking for, but it came on the bike. It's pretty comfy though, and once you're on the bike you can't see it's hideousness

Every time I call my brother in law back on the east coast, he asks if I still have the "banana seat" on my bike.

Back