1983 XS650 Heritage Special II - Bobber or Tracker the Thing?

txaggie929

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looks like I'll be picking up an all original 1983 XS650 Heritage Special II on Sunday. Only has 10K original miles, clean title, runs & rides fine, and is in pretty good shape and I picked it up for $750 which I figure was a pretty good deal (if not, it's too late now ha ha ha)

So, the great debate now is........make it a bobber or make it a street tracker??? Any advantages or disadvantages to either for this particular year?

I am beyond torn on this. Please help sway me!!! :D

Save your kidneys and back, keep the shocks. Cafe it if you feel the need to customise. Maybe just ride it for a while while you decide which direction to take it. It's your bike, your choice.

Congrats, I've an '83 myself and am quite pleased.
Like the az sez...ride it for a while...make sure you're mechanically and electrically sound before you start doing any cosmetic changes. There's a lot you can do with an '83 to make it unique to yourself and still keep the shocks.

Well, it's gonna be one or the other, no doubt about it. Anything with an engine that I have had over the years had been tricked out in one way or another.

As far as my back and kidneys go, I guess I'm used to a rough ride as all my trucks have been lifted or been 3/4 or 1 tons. And I'm sure my liver is still shot from college, so that's not of a lot of concern either lol.

Come on guys, looking for some more input here.

One thing that I'm seeing though is that people are recommending certain years and models for the trackers and the same for bobbers.

Would I run into any problems doing a tracker on the 83 Heritage Special...besides the ungodly amount of spokes?

Dude I'm actually headed to College Station this Sunday to get the bike. It's on the cs craigslist.

Nah, but thanks for the offer. The guy seems pretty legit - he's the manager for Loupot's. Even if it's not the greatest it's hard to beat for the price. Unfortunately he said he had to lay it down in the HEB parking lot when somebody pulled out in front of him. Said it bent the bars and put a very tiny dent in the gas tank with his knee. I m not overly worried about it.

Thought I'd throw it out there! I mean I am here already and I am in no way interested in another bike. lol 4 is my limit I should say. And right now I'm waist deep in rephasing and rebuilding an engine for my XS. I'll shoot you a pm with my contact info

Well I already told him I'd take it, and I'm not one to back out of deals. Besides the best I've been able to find up here in ft worth is basket cases with no titles for $1k or more or roached out POSs that they want $2500 for.

I really do appreciate your offer though!

Btw- I've seen Wronkas bike - I used to mow a yard that was 2 houses down. That's when I fell in love with the street trackers.

Ahh yeah I traded some of my stock stuff for an engine he had sitting around. That's the one I have in pieces right now. I have just been riding the buell lately though.

my first xs i chopped. just the basic tcbros tail and peanut tank. I loved it ! I dont think it rode nearly as bad as one would think, considering you chopped the rear suspension...
I just sold it and now I am building a street tracker. The biggest reason for the tracker other then I like the looks of them is my riding style and the upright position. I would consider how you like to ride when considering what to build..
just my two cents

Back