valve install help

nkymain485

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i picked up and xs2 motor that was all in pieces... though i would say can tackle most mechanics rather easily but i have never dealt with valves and valve springs, they were out of the motor when i bought it and i was just curious if anyone knew of a good walk through to help me out. I always been rather afraid of the valves just because i was kinda under the impression they were very sensitive in how they had to be adjusted and what not... help would be much appreciated....

are you talking about reinstalling the valve back into the head?? it's rather simple. did you get a valve job done, or were they lapped yet??

anyway, i'm amusing you don't have a valve spring compressor.. not a problem. get a decent sized c-clamp.. I like to wrap the fixed end with blue painters tape to protect the head. get a 3/4 piece of PCV about 1.5 inches tall, cut a "window" out of it...insert valve into head.. (don't forget your new valve stem seal) use the clamp and the pcv to compressor the spring. now with the spring compressed insert the keepers. make sure they go into the groove on the valve stem. slowly release the clamp..

it's pretty simple, I hope you get the idea..

no compressor yet... prob going to pick one up since ill prob find use for it.... but what about adjustment...dont they have to be adjusted

The rocker clearance has to be adjusted once the head is back on. You can rent tools for free at most chain auto parts stores. Valves ought to at least be lapped in with lapping compound. Or can take it all to a machine shop. I think the manual you can download covers rebuilding the engine. Just follow the part that applies to what you're doing. I would replace the valve guides while it was apart, and probably also the cam chain adjuster since from what I read it ends up sitting in the oil sump pretty often.

Back